CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

radiator fan not stopping, battery not charging, media system doesnt work etc

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2019, 05:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 200k
radiator fan not stopping, battery not charging, media system doesnt work etc

well as the title says i have alot of problems with my car atm , it all starteet when my previous batttery died and wouldnt recharge, an i thought "great, dead battery" well that was probably not the main issue, since when i got my new battery and connected it, my radiator fan instantly started wining up. tried starting the engine and stopping it no luck,, also the media system doesnt work, and i get error on the battery charging part., and BAS lamp and warning shows up.

anyone have any idea what it can be? im thinking something electrical, which is not my field at all.
Old 07-27-2019, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 196 Likes on 175 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
When a battery fully discharges, an internal cell often shorts out and it can not successfully be brought back to life.

That said, recharging it, is worth a try.

However, recharging the battery while it's still connected to the vehicle's sensitive electronics, presents a strong possibility of 'over voltage' damaging one of the electrical modules critical to vehicle operation.

The best solution is to always isolate the battery from the vehicle, by first disconnecting either the battery's negative or positive connector, which will isolate the battery from the vehicle, eliminating the risk of damaging any of the vehicle's sensitive electrical modules.

In regard to your media center not working and the BAS warning, as described in your owner's manual, whenever the battery voltage is to low, or has been disconnected, all that is necessary to restore operation is simple reset.

To reset the media center, is to enter the activation code that was supplied when the vehicle was purchased. If you don't have this code, contact you're MB dealership with the vehicle VIN and proof of ownership.

To reset the BAS warning, with the engine running, just turn the steering wheel fully clockwise and then fully counter-clockwise.

Although you didn't mention any issues with your power windows, to restore full operation and features, they may need to be reset as well, which is covered in your owner's manual. Basically, using the window control buttons, first lower and hold for 5 seconds, then raise and hold for 5 seconds.

If your radiator fan continues to run constantly, that's likely an issue with the CANBus digital messaging or voltage encoding and you'll have to have the vehicle scanned for diagnostic trouble codes.
Old 07-28-2019, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 200k
Thank you for answering, i bought a new battery and all these problems became apparent when i connected that.

no problems with the windows actually

tried starting again after recharging the new battery again, now i only got an error on the alternator, so tried checking the voltage onthe battery with the motor running, and seems like the alternator might be the problem. so now i only need to find what alternator to buy and how to chaange it, if anyone knows of a guide for a clk 200 k that would be great, should be something on this forum, but the search feature is horrible