CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Follow your hunches

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2002, 08:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
Techbike:

It's not Government, - it's people; it's not MB, - it's people.

If MB customers - like you and I - would insist that service work by MB is
performed just a notch above the typical tech "rip-off-the-customer" attitude
and workmanship, we all would and could benefit.

Quality in materials - particularly electronic/electrical components, pre-delivery
prep and after sales service must be substantially improved for MB to stay
competitive in the luxury car niche, -- to at least make the top 10 quality
ranking!!

In our cases, the car is under warranty and MB service's sloppy work costs MB
Corporate BIG $$$Billions! ...and it's obvious who pays for this sloppiness,
requiring multiple re-visiting MB service to correct the the same wrongs.
Old 05-11-2002, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK 320
Dealer

Techbike, I'm on Long Island as well. If you don't mind my asking, which dealer are you referring to? Is there an MB service department you can particularly recommend?
Old 05-11-2002, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All of them, as much as I can...
Andy, it's Rallye in Roslyn and I still would recommend them...

...for normal service and/or warranty work. My episode with tire vibration was, in my opinion, only an isolated case. I don't think they expected a customer to be so finicky about a little jiggle in the steering wheel; especially on a brand new car. And I think when I decided to go to an independent shop, instead of going back a 4th time, and coming back armed with printouts, etc., aggravated the situation. I have dealt with them for many years and I know all the service advisors, and a couple of the foremen. They have gone as far as "sneaking" me in without an appointment, a loaner car when I didn't reserve one, a few tweaks here and there at no charge, etc. The cars are always clean and washed before they give it back to me.
Unfortunately, as Karl said, it's people. And most of the people in the shop know how to read codes in the computer, find the recommended replacement module or part, grab it from the parts dept, and put them in; probably not knowing exactly what was really wrong in the first place or what the part's function actually was. Funny but the last time I had a problem that required troubleshooting, I drove up to the service dept., and instead of bringing me into the shop, the advisor called the roadside assistance car which came in 10 minutes. The mechanic analyzed the problem, figured it was a faulty fuel pump, wrote up the work order and told the advisor to get me a loaner. When I asked the advisor what that was all about, he said that 2 of the "roving mechanics" on these roadside assistance cars were former foremen in the shop, became uncomfortable with the computerized analytics system of troubleshooting and asked to be transferred. Figure that one out... but I still respect the mechanic who will put one end of a screwdriver to the valve cover and the other end to his ear and say:"tappets need adjustment on #4 and #6...and you might need a new timing chain..."
Old 05-11-2002, 11:04 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 186 Likes on 135 Posts
Re: Andy, it's Rallye in Roslyn and I still would recommend them...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by techbike
[B]...for normal service and/or warranty work. My episode with tire vibration was, in my opinion, only an isolated case. I don't think they expected a customer to be so finicky about a little jiggle in the steering wheel; especially on a brand new car.

As I've previously posted I noticed a slight giggle in my steering wheel on my 00 and 01 430...you're not alone. MBZ and other manufacturers of these "premium automobiles" must realize that the reason some/most of their customers are buying these cars is they expect them built as close to perfection as possible and are willing to pay the price for it and anteing up big dollars to do so. Ceratinly the manufacturers of the premium autos are representing them to be ...engineered like no other car in the world...the ultimate driving machine....nothing else even comes close...and of course, the relentless pursuit of perfection. So when these cars are delivered and are not behaving as designed and or represented, they need to accept the fact we want our cars right, smile and fix it right. But as Karl K said it's not just the company it's the people and do you know what the biggest problem with people is???? PEOPLE

RJC

RJC