CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

2003 CLK430 Seat and Window Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2019, 04:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 Clk430
2003 CLK430 Seat and Window Problems

Hi, Need some help, i have a 2003 CLK430 and the problem I am having is the drivers side window and seat after it sits overnight stop working. I disconnect the battery and then they work again. Any Ideas on what the problem may be? or any help would be appreciated, thanks! - Tom
Old 12-15-2019, 09:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 250 Likes on 229 Posts
'99 CLK/05 E500 WAG
Have you checked the fuses?
Old 12-16-2019, 09:40 AM

2003 Clk430
Yes I have checked all of the fuses, replaced the battery, replaced the door module and seat switch. Still once it sits overnight they stop working.
Old 12-16-2019, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 CLK/05 E500 WAG
I'm not a electrician, but something has to be shorting the system, or wet spots. Check the door side rails they have a notorious way of holding moisture.
also check threads in other sections something is bound to have the same problem.
2MERKS
Old 12-16-2019, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 CLK/05 E500 WAG
Read FYI...

https://mercedesforum.com/forum/merc...problem-32349/
Hope this helps
Old 12-17-2019, 09:53 AM

2003 Clk430
I will look for any corrosion this afternoon, thanks.
The following users liked this post:
2MERKS (12-17-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 192 Likes on 172 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Hi Tom and welcome to the forum.

When you disconnect/reconnect the battery, you just reboot the CANBus control modules back to their initial settings and the fresh restart only temporarily resolves the issue you're having with your driver side window and seats.

Enclosed below, in a functional diagram of the interior W208 CANBus.

The CANBus is a network of connected nodes, consisting of smart control modules (i.e. nodes) that communicate with one another via digital messages.

The benefit of the CANBus architecture is to provide all of the convenience features and functionality, allow the manufacturer the ability to use the same components on different models throughout their product offerings, save on the amount of wiring and weight, as well as cost savings.

As shown in the the upper left corner of the diagram, the (S91) power seat switches, which are voltage encoded, are read by the (N69) door control modules which send a CANBus message to the (N32) electronic seat adjust control module, which actuates the seat adjustment motors and/or the window motors.

BTW, the voltage encoding is another technique to reduce the amount of wiring. As example, the S91 switch group uses resistors that divide the 12 volt vehicle voltage into different levels. As example, when you press the seat forward, the switch might be 12 volts, but when you press the switch aft, the level might be 6 volts, providing the controller the intelligence using just a single wire connection.

I see that you have already made some excellent choices and replaced the battery (e.g. overnight a weak battery would screw up the voltage encoding used by the CANBus), as well as the N69 door control module (e.g. a central to controlling both the seat and window motors).

At this time, you issue may likely have to do with improper vehicle coding.

Vehicle coding provides the manufacturer the ability to use the same components on different models throughout their product offerings. When properly coded, the network nodal configuration and programing is exactly matched to which model you have, what your car was equipped with etc..

Here is a MB document on this subject.

If you purchased a new genuine MB N69 door controller (a.k.a. virgin), it has never been vehicle coded and definitely must be when its installed in a vehicle
If you purchased a previously used unit, the controller coding from the donor vehicle may be incorrect and it needs to be recoded

The following 2 users liked this post by Serndipity:
2MERKS (12-18-2019), convicted (03-31-2020)

Trending Topics

Old 12-18-2019, 05:00 PM

2003 Clk430
Thank you very much, extremely helpful. I checked the CAN high and Low off the door module last night and they don't match. I will take the diagram you sent and restart my process and also look into having the module re-coded (I bought it used off of Ebay)
Old 12-20-2019, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 CLK/05 E500 WAG
Originally Posted by Allautomotivede
Thank you very much, extremely helpful. I checked the CAN high and Low off the door module last night and they don't match. I will take the diagram you sent and restart my process and also look into having the module re-coded (I bought it used off of Ebay)
Gud morning
Did that fix help from member?
2MERKS
Old 03-31-2020, 01:51 PM

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
1998 CLK 320
Thumbs up Awesome!

Originally Posted by Serndipity
Hi Tom and welcome to the forum.

When you disconnect/reconnect the battery, you just reboot the CANBus control modules back to their initial settings and the fresh restart only temporarily resolves the issue you're having with your driver side window and seats.

Enclosed below, in a functional diagram of the interior W208 CANBus.

The CANBus is a network of connected nodes, consisting of smart control modules (i.e. nodes) that communicate with one another via digital messages.

The benefit of the CANBus architecture is to provide all of the convenience features and functionality, allow the manufacturer the ability to use the same components on different models throughout their product offerings, save on the amount of wiring and weight, as well as cost savings.

As shown in the the upper left corner of the diagram, the (S91) power seat switches, which are voltage encoded, are read by the (N69) door control modules which send a CANBus message to the (N32) electronic seat adjust control module, which actuates the seat adjustment motors and/or the window motors.

BTW, the voltage encoding is another technique to reduce the amount of wiring. As example, the S91 switch group uses resistors that divide the 12 volt vehicle voltage into different levels. As example, when you press the seat forward, the switch might be 12 volts, but when you press the switch aft, the level might be 6 volts, providing the controller the intelligence using just a single wire connection.

I see that you have already made some excellent choices and replaced the battery (e.g. overnight a weak battery would screw up the voltage encoding used by the CANBus), as well as the N69 door control module (e.g. a central to controlling both the seat and window motors).

At this time, you issue may likely have to do with improper vehicle coding.

Vehicle coding provides the manufacturer the ability to use the same components on different models throughout their product offerings. When properly coded, the network nodal configuration and programing is exactly matched to which model you have, what your car was equipped with etc..

Here is a MB document on this subject.

If you purchased a new genuine MB N69 door controller (a.k.a. virgin), it has never been vehicle coded and definitely must be when its installed in a vehicle
If you purchased a previously used unit, the controller coding from the donor vehicle may be incorrect and it needs to be recoded

This is terrific information! Thank you for this.

Would you be able to explain to me how to recode my system? I replaced my FL door control module, as well as my SAM and I'm still having issues with the windows working and other various bugs which I'm sure are related to this.

Also: do you have a .PDF of this document you posted that you'd be willing to share?

Thanks again guys!