CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

LOCKED OUT OF CLK 430 TRUNK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2019, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 CLK 430 AMG
LOCKED OUT OF CLK 430 TRUNK

AT WITS END! NEED HELP PLEASE

So my wife's has a 2002 CLK 430 which is a little tired but I feel still an awesome car with some issues. I LOVE THIS CAR..................when it runs!

The first issue that has stumped us for along time now is getting into the trunk. Here's the scenario.

1.Convertible top didn't get LOCKED into correct position which I believe the cars computer tells the trunk to remain locked.
2. Battery died in trunk
3. Lock mechanism on trunk is totally frozen & little key on key FOB doesn't turn at at. TOTALLY UNMOVABLE!

Here are the things I have done to try to get access
1. I JOINED MB WORLD to search & ask for advice.

2. I jumped her car with my Volvo from port in engine compartment. While there was power to CLK I put key in ignition turning in partially lighting up cars computer.
I pulled on trunk button & nothing happened. I then took spare key FOB & pushed button it for trunk & nothing. Key FOB batteries not a problem.
3.I tried little key in key FOB & nothing.
4. I pulled out rear seats of CLK & the bulkhead behind seats is all metal & not that I can see gives any access.
5. Going from UTUBE I saw a video of guy drilling out small hole under licence plate above left of lock mechanism & can move part of lock but still nothing.
6.Going more extreme, I used a dremal tool & cut out hole big enough for entire hand (hidden under license plate) & put my hand in there & disconnected the vacuum hoses. Still nothing
7. RUNNING OUT of ideas
8. Now I have been searching Google on drilling out lock cylinder. Not sure if this is a good idea

PLEASE any help from experience on what to do to get into this beast of car would be appreciated!
Mahalo form MAUI HAWAII

Last edited by MauiVolvoGuy; 12-16-2019 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Updating info
Old 12-17-2019, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 174 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
MauiVolvoGuy.....Welcome to the forum, which is a treasure chest of diagnostic, troubleshooting and repair information.

Unfortunately, it's keyword search capability isn't great and you'll wind up reading lots of threads that aren't relevant dead ends etc..

Instead, my suggestion would be to use Google search using this format , where you'll be able to search for results based on an exact phrase, not including certain words, from a specific web site etc..

By design, to prevent the possibility of a collision between the soft top compartment cover and trunk lid, the soft top controller will override the central locking system's pneumatic operation, preventing it from:

- Operating the power soft top when the trunk is unlocked or open
or
-Unlocking and opening the truck, when the power roof is being operated or it's not completely open or closed and locked.

Fortunately, this safeguard can be overridden by either using the fob's mechanical key or the emergency release switch that was included in MY 2001 and after.

To use the mechanical key, after it's inserted, you must turn it 45 degrees CCW and push it inward. However, due climate or lack of use, if it's frozen and you can't turn it CCW, it can often be free it up by wiggling the key with lock lubricant. As preventative maintenance, I use Lock-ease Graphited Lock Fluid, which doesn't leave behind any residue to gum-up the mechanism.

The emergency release switch is located on the passenger side trunk inside lid panel and is backlit green.

If the above methods fail, use the method described in post #5 in this thread , as drilling out the lock or holes in the truck lid will no work.

Also, whenever the vehicle battery discharges, in the engine bay, just forward of the passenger side F1 fuse box, there is a smaller plastic box, that when opened will have a terminal where you can temporarily connect a float charger or small 12 volt battery to provide enough power to open the trunk.

Lastly, you'll also find lots of valuable forum information that will enable a shade tree mechanic to diagnose, troubleshoot and repair your power roof for short money.