CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Can I drive without instrument cluster?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2020, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 W208
Can I drive without instrument cluster?

Like the title says ... the odometer LCD is scrambled and I need to pull the cluster and send it off for repair (no time, no inclination to do it myself).

'98 W208.

The car is my wife's daily driver ... will it be drive-able without the instrument cluster, or does it interact with the engine, brakes, etc.? Turnaround for repair is about three weeks.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 231 Likes on 211 Posts
'99 CLK/05 E500 WAG
Odo

Per Internet:

Can I drive my vehicle while the cluster is removed?

* Although it may be possible to drive your vehicle without an instrument cluster we would advise you to seek alternative transportation if possible to avoid the risks associated with not having access to your gauges or warning lamps.

* GM trucks and SUV'S can be driven without the instrument cluster in place, however you will be operating blind with regard to speed and warning lights. Once your cluster has been reinstalled your Check Engine light may be illuminated, but should reset after a few trips. Alternatively this could be reset manually with a scan tool.

* Some GM vehicles have a security disable feature that will only allow it to be started once when it has been removed and then will fail to start again.

* On some Fords and Nissans the charging system will not function without the cluster installed.

* Some Volkswagen and Audi vehicles will not start with the cluster removed due to the immobilizer feature.

* On some vehicles, to prevent starting problems and to keep trouble codes from setting the ignition key should not be turned on for the duration of time that the cluster is unplugged
R
2merks
Old 05-28-2020, 01:00 PM

CLK 430
I had to have the pixels replaced in the clock and external thermometer so I sent mine out for repair. I just used my phone as a speedometer and odometer in the meantime. Its disconcerting but it will work. Just be careful of your speed and your fuel.

CLK 430 W208
Old 05-29-2020, 06:59 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
You can drive it w/o any problem.
Old 06-01-2020, 11:23 PM

2002 clk430 cabriolet
Originally Posted by 430CLK_NY
I had to have the pixels replaced in the clock and external thermometer so I sent mine out for repair. I just used my phone as a speedometer and odometer in the meantime. Its disconcerting but it will work. Just be careful of your speed and your fuel.

CLK 430 W208
I disagree with driving with cluster removed. I did but car stalled and pushed to garage to be told that with the cluster removed the car will not charge the battery. Recharged the battery, drove home and waited for the cluster to arrive. Plugged it all in no more problems
Old 06-02-2020, 07:41 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
I live in Massachusetts...one of the top cluster repairs are located there.
https://www.facebook.com/BBAReman/
I removed it, drove there and dropped it off, drove for 2 days, picked it up 2 days later, drove home and re-installed..no problems