CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Leaking oil on Alternator

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2020, 11:00 AM

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
1998 CLK 320
Leaking oil on Alternator

Hi guys,

I'm Leaking oil, but I can only see it on the on Alternator. It's a pretty decent leak too, but I can't see where it's coming from. It's not smoking, so I know it's not dripping on the exhaust and it's definitely not a head gasket. I can't see the valve cover(s) well enough to rule them out, but nothing is easily noticeable.

Has anyone had this issue?

Thanks,
Old 03-16-2020, 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 250 Likes on 229 Posts
'99 CLK/05 E500 WAG
Originally Posted by convicted
Hi guys,

I'm Leaking oil, but I can only see it on the on Alternator. It's a pretty decent leak too, but I can't see where it's coming from. It's not smoking, so I know it's not dripping on the exhaust and it's definitely not a head gasket. I can't see the valve cover(s) well enough to rule them out, but nothing is easily noticeable.

Has anyone had this issue?

Thanks,
more then likely the valve cover gaskets are the culprits. What yr is your ride, and If by chance you know when the covers were swapped out? If you co7ld post a couple of pics that'll be swell.
2MERKS
Old 03-16-2020, 10:57 PM

1998 CLK 320
It's a 1998 CLK 320 (M112 E32).

I looked at the valve covers and I don't see any leakage. I also doubt it's a valve cover. They both look good and none of the oil is getting on the exhaust - and it's losing a lot of oil (roughly 1/2 Qt. per day). I don't even drive much right now.

It's definitely coming from the front of the engine and it seems as though the radiator fan is blowing it onto the front of the engine. The front of the alternator seems to be getting the worst of it. I've never done any timing work on this engine, but it seems like it's coming from where I would expect a timing cover seal (or similar) to be. Somewhere near the tensioner pulley.

I just spent five minutes under the hood (with the engine running) and couldn't find anything. It's hard to believe I can be losing so much oil and have absolutely no idea where it's coming from.

Last edited by convicted; 03-17-2020 at 08:13 AM.
Old 03-16-2020, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 CLK/05 E500 WAG
That's Tuff, but view this video

Mercedes Benz oil leak
Hope this helps
2MERKS
The following users liked this post:
convicted (03-18-2020)
Old 03-17-2020, 08:30 AM

1998 CLK 320
Great video. I bet one of those are my leak(s).

Thanks so much.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 CLK/05 E500 WAG
Great video. I bet one of those are my leak(s).

Thanks so much.
Your welcome..can you do a video of issue?
2MERKS
Old 03-18-2020, 12:21 AM

1998 CLK 320
I think I will. I took a short drive today and as I was pulling into my driveway, my (brand new) serpentine belt slipped off of the (large - center) roller pulley. That's how slippery it had gotten.

I need to tear everything apart, find the leak, fix it and degrease/clean everything. Whatever it is, it's bad - and it has something to do with oil pressure, because I filled the oil last night and let it sit. It lost no oil at all overnight. I then let it idle for about fifteen minutes this morning - and again: no oil loss. This afternoon, I drove it (about) three miles to the store and (3 miles) back and lost about a quart of oil by the time I pulled back into the driveway (when the belt slipped off). Everything on the front of the engine had a thin coat of oil on it - from the radiator fan blowing it everywhere - which is making it nearly impossible to track down, but I'm pretty sure it's one of the leaks from the video you posted, so I think I'll try to do something similar. Like a video showing the problem, then the steps to find and fix it.

Unfortunately I just sold a bunch of my tools. I had way too many and I told myself: "I don't need all of this ****. I'm done tuning everything I touch and doing work on everyone's car. I'm going to buy a car and just drive it. Simple repairs and maintenance only." (how many tuners & DIYers make the mistake of telling themselves that lie?) lol.

Almost every tool on the list of necessary tools were included in what I sold, so I have to buy those tools (again) before I can fix and film this issue, but I have to do it anyway, so why not try to help someone else out?

Last edited by convicted; 03-26-2020 at 01:27 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 03-18-2020, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 CLK/05 E500 WAG
I think I will. I took a short drive today and as I was pulling into my driveway, my (brand new) serpentine belt slipped off of the (large - center) roller pulley. That's how slippery it had gotten.

I need to tear everything apart, find the leak, fix it and degrease/clean everything. Whatever it is, it's bad - and it has something to do with oil pressure, because I filled the oil last night and let it sit. It lost no oil at all overnight. I then let it idle for about fifteen minutes this morning - and again: no oil loss. This afternoon, I drove it (about) three miles to the store and (3 miles) back and lost about a quart of oil by the time I pulled back into the driveway (when the belt slipped off). Everything on the front of the engine had a thin coat of oil on it - from the radiator fan blowing it everywhere - which is making it nearly impossible to track down, but I'm pretty sure it's one of the leaks from the video you posted, so I think I'll try to do something similar. Like a video showing the problem, then the steps to find and fix it.

Unfortunately I just sold a bunch of my tools. I had way too many and I told myself: "I don't need all of this ****. I'm done tuning everything I touch and doing work on everyone's car. I'm going to buy a car and just drive it. Simple repairs and maintenance only." (how many tuners & DIYers make the mistake f telling themselves that lie?) lol.
Almost every tool on the list of necessary tools were included in what I sold, so I have to buy those tools (again) before I can fix and film this issue, but I have to do it anyway, so why not try to help someone else out?
Check with Advance auto they havea free tool rental, but it seems like the freaking tools you'll need they won't have.
2MERKS
Old 03-20-2020, 08:09 PM

1998 CLK 320
Well,

I took your suggestion and made a video of my own, but I made it for "the beginner", so it's pretty long, but hopefully it helps someone in need.

Here it is:

Thanks again! (P.S. Check the description)
Old 03-26-2020, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 CLK/05 E500 WAG
Well,

I took your suggestion and made a video of my own, but I made it for "the beginner", so it's pretty long, but hopefully it helps someone in need.

Here it is:

https://youtu.be/pkt1ccQh8cY

Thanks again! (P.S. Check the description)
Outstanding! Are you sure your not a ASE mechanic? Got me fooled big-time!
any issues since? Definitely A+!
2MERKS
Old 03-26-2020, 01:38 PM

1998 CLK 320
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 2MERKS
Outstanding! Are you sure you're not a ASE mechanic? Got me fooled big-time!
any issues since? Definitely A+!
2MERKS
LOL! Thank you. It would've been a nightmare w/o your help, so a "tip of the cap" to you sir!

By trade I'm an Enterprise Software, Network and Computer Systems Engineer (now I teach competitive intelligence), but my dad was an ASE mechanic and I learned a lot from him before he died.......I also grew up poor, which pretty much forces you to be a "everything engineer". lol

I just hope this helps someone half as much as you helped me.

Thankfully, I haven't had any issues since - and I still can't believe that such a small leak could cause so much oil loss. I've never seen anything like it.

Now I'm about to go outside and replace this damn driver's side door controller. Tomorrow will be the SAM. After that, we should be right back to 1998. lol

Thanks again!! Much appreciated.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 CLK/05 E500 WAG
I'm soo happy to hear your back on the pavement! I'm just appreciative to be associated with this forum, and this Community as a whole! Lots, and lots of good, informative and knowledge out there!
In short, I cannot take any credit for passing on info, but again I like to see ALL succeed! Think of it as a where we all get credit, and we all contribute...like "FOSS" free and open source S/w! Lol👍
2MERKS
Old 03-26-2020, 07:01 PM

1998 CLK 320
Originally Posted by 2MERKS
I'm soo happy to hear your back on the pavement! I'm just appreciative to be associated with this forum, and this Community as a whole! Lots, and lots of good, informative and knowledge out there!
In short, I cannot take any credit for passing on info, but again I like to see ALL succeed! Think of it as a where we all get credit, and we all contribute...like "FOSS" free and open source S/w! Lol👍
2MERKS

I couldn't have said it better myself. I've been (and still am) a member of a dozen forums over the past decade and I'm right there with you. It's a great model for what society should be (or how we should all conduct ourselves in "the real world"). Funny how it's so difficult for so many to grasp such a simple (and fulfilling) concept.