CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

ABS/BAS is broken

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2020, 12:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 200 W208
Question ABS/BAS is broken

Hey everyone, i hope everyone is safe home while Pandemic is happening.
i have a CLK 200 (year 2000),i had a problem 1 month ago with esp systeme, it turns on without displaying any faults but when i drive like 50-100m the BAS and ABS go off and the car alarm that they stopped working when i took it too the shop after a lot diagnosis they concluded after scanning it that it was from the ESP module so we replaced it, but the problem stayed so he kept it couple diagnosing the issue and after replacing a wheel speed sensor and the instrument cluster it was fixed, he said that something was wrong in the old cluster that it was throwing off the abs. Happy ended, yey, that what i thaught yesterday when i was driving to pick up some stuff for the house, the abs bas light came back on, i pulled over immediatly and turned the car off and turned it on it went away but after 50m came back on.

To be honest idk whats wrong and i can't take it to a shop because of the corona virus the government mandated all car shops close. I know about the brake switch problem the steering sensor and all the famous problems i read all the forums but i didn't find out how to self diagnose these problems and probable fix them or bypass them, i know it's hard to bypass but if there is a way it would really help right now while this pandemic is happening.
I removed the fuse for the cluster because it was the problem last time and no error came on the little screen in the cluster (the other light can't work because of the fuse), idk it is the problem, again, or i don't know if the car don't alarm you about malfunction when the cluster isn't working but the small screen is. and another thing one day before the abs stoped working i pumped my tires with air the were very low like 23psi instead of 33psi (i forgot to check them like normal i am not that uncaring about my car), so idk if it could have something to do with it because the diameter changed, i am just telling you everything i did to the car. And my tires are 225/50 R16.
I am sorry if my English isn't perfect it's not my first language, and thank you for the help and may all of you stay safe while this pandemic is happening.
Old 03-29-2020, 11:04 AM

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
1998 CLK 320
Try this:

G/L
The following users liked this post:
Mohamed chokor (03-29-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 09:02 PM

CLK 200 W208
Originally Posted by convicted
Thank you a lot for the video it's really helpful, well i can't make sure that it's 100% the brake switch because no shops are open because of the pandemic and i can't buy this part i will have to wait until hopefully this virus is dealt with, is there anyway to fix it without replacing it? I can't find any so i just wonder if anyone will know on this forum.
Again thank you a lot really appreciate it.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:07 PM

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
1998 CLK 320
My pleasure. G/L with the fix.
The following 2 users liked this post by convicted:
2MERKS (03-30-2020), Mohamed chokor (03-29-2020)
Old 04-12-2020, 01:32 PM

2003 430 CLK
I have read multiple posts on here where people have removed the switch and cleaned it. I have not seen where they were detailed instructions. I have changed mine multiple times, so I am thinking there’s something wrong with the wires on mine. Good luck.

Do you have access to Amazon in your country? They sell this part.