CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Sliding sun/moon roof won't close completely (because of the plastic wind "flap").

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2020, 01:37 PM

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
1998 CLK 320
Lightbulb Sliding sun/moon roof won't close completely (because of wind "flap"). SOLVED.

Hi guys,

Like the title says, my sliding sun/moon roof won't close completely, because the plastic wind deflector "flap" isn't laying down low enough (like it's supposed to) when the roof is closing, so the glass catches on it. I can physically push the flap down and the roof closes just fine and I (otherwise) have full functionality (thanks to a new motor and dome/switch assembly).

The deflector/flap looks like it's fine on both sides. If you push the arm down on either side, it goes down like it's supposed to.

EDIT: After further inspection, I noticed that the glass has a tab underneath each side, which makes contact with the wind deflector rails when closing. That's what forces the wind deflector down. It seems that after 22 years of use, the tabs have simply worn down to the point where they can't push the arms down low enough for the deflector to clear the glass anymore (we're talking millimetres) - and since I found countless threads & posts on the internet where people have had this exact same problem, but for some reason never came up with an answer (that I could find) other than "take it to the dealer", or "try resetting it", etc. - I figure I might as well come up with a solution myself - and I did.

Find the tabs and (carefully) bend them back down as best you can. That's it. No spending money. No resetting anything. Just bend 'em (carefully).

Hopefully this helps the next person who needs it.

Cheers!

Last edited by convicted; 04-21-2020 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Solved.
Old 04-22-2020, 08:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 255 Likes on 234 Posts
'99 CLK/05 E500 WAG
Originally Posted by convicted
Hi guys,

Like the title says, my sliding sun/moon roof won't close completely, because the plastic wind deflector "flap" isn't laying down low enough (like it's supposed to) when the roof is closing, so the glass catches on it. I can physically push the flap down and the roof closes just fine and I (otherwise) have full functionality (thanks to a new motor and dome/switch assembly).

The deflector/flap looks like it's fine on both sides. If you push the arm down on either side, it goes down like it's supposed to.

EDIT: After further inspection, I noticed that the glass has a tab underneath each side, which makes contact with the wind deflector rails when closing. That's what forces the wind deflector down. It seems that after 22 years of use, the tabs have simply worn down to the point where they can't push the arms down low enough for the deflector to clear the glass anymore (we're talking millimetres) - and since I found countless threads & posts on the internet where people have had this exact same problem, but for some reason never came up with an answer (that I could find) other than "take it to the dealer", or "try resetting it", etc. - I figure I might as well come up with a solution myself - and I did.

Find the tabs and (carefully) bend them back down as best you can. That's it. No spending money. No resetting anything. Just bend 'em (carefully).

Hopefully this helps the next person who needs it.

Cheers!
pics PLEASE
2MERKS
Old 04-22-2020, 03:24 PM

1998 CLK 320
See below.

The tabs are attached to the glass roof (one on each side). They engage the rails on both sides and the rails lower the wind deflector. Age causes the tabs to lose their proper angle. Bending them down slightly (and carefully) solves this problem.

Enjoy!

Last edited by convicted; 04-22-2020 at 09:20 PM.
Old 04-22-2020, 09:16 PM

1998 CLK 320

Tab under glass engages arm, which lowers wind deflector.

Wind deflector arm (notice the wear).

Old 04-23-2020, 01:33 PM

1998 CLK 320
Originally Posted by 2MERKS
pics PLEASE
2MERKS
There you are sir.

Last edited by convicted; 12-11-2020 at 12:33 PM.