CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Has anybody heard of Bosch 2.8 ecu’s needing replacement for lean condition?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2020, 12:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 138 Posts
2002 CL500 to CL55 conversion
Has anybody heard of Bosch 2.8 ecu’s needing replacement for lean condition?

The last few years, despite the engine running strong and the compression testing well, sometimes after cruising the highway, if I come to a stop the air/fuel ratio will read lean for a few seconds. Running lean at idle is not really harmful when the engine is not under load however I do not believe this to be normal behavior

I was shocked to find technical documents mentioning replacing 2001 Bosch 2.8 ecus for this exact problem, once the car comes to a stop it will idle roughly for a few seconds due to a lean condition. all the document says is “to replace the ecu” and gives a list of ecu’s affected, however mine was not on the list

was wondering if anybody else had any experience with this... I believe my problem to be mostly related to spent primary o2 sensors giving a bad reading after they’ve been heated up during cruises but the subject still intrigued me