CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Need your opinion on suspension.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2020, 03:47 PM

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
1998 CLK 320
Question Need your opinion on suspension.

I just replaced my rear struts and springs. I used "non sport" components. The rear wheel wells sit right at 25.5" from the ground (at their highest point). I want to do the front, but I really don't think I need to do springs and struts (I really don't NEED either), but I at least want to do struts (since they're pretty easy to do from what I've seen).

Do you think I would be okay leaving the stock (22 yr old) springs on the front and just doing shocks/struts and if so - and most importantly - would I be okay using the "sport" struts, or should I stick with non-sport struts?

FWIW: I will most likely be putting some 18x8" ET35 front and 18x9" ET32 rear wheels on it at some point, so I need to consider that. I don't mind having wheel well gap (I kind of like it these days). I'm more concerned with clearance and whether or not it would be safe/acceptable to run a "sport" strut setup up front (especially if I'll be using the old stock springs).

Thanks.

Last edited by convicted; 05-19-2020 at 03:52 PM.