CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Blown Speaker/Stereo Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 CLK430
Question Blown Speaker/Stereo Problem

Ok guys heres the deal:

Just got in my car to come home from work about 20 minutes ago. Upon cranking the car, I received about 5 seconds of sound from my stereo that was perfectly normal. Then theres a clip, absolute silence for about 2 seconds, then sound comes back only in my sub and rear deck factory subs. Without turning the car off, I turn off the stereo, wait a minute, and turn it back on. Stereo returns to normal....oh wait no, it returns to normal except for nothing but feedback coming from the 4" door speaker on the drivers side. It certainly sounds blown to me. My questions...

where the hell was the fuse that was supposed to blow instead of the speaker? of course Mercedes doesnt give me a book that tells me which fuses go where, so instead of pulling them all out one at a time, does anyone have a diagram that shows the purpose of each fuse?

also, what the F happened? i have a feeling if i take my door apart ill find a blown speaker, but i wanted some input of any sort from you guys before i waste my time taking off the insanely time consuming quest for speaker access.

thanks guys.
Old 08-13-2004, 04:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
01' CLK55
Originally Posted by Petie
Ok guys heres the deal:

Just got in my car to come home from work about 20 minutes ago. Upon cranking the car, I received about 5 seconds of sound from my stereo that was perfectly normal. Then theres a clip, absolute silence for about 2 seconds, then sound comes back only in my sub and rear deck factory subs. Without turning the car off, I turn off the stereo, wait a minute, and turn it back on. Stereo returns to normal....oh wait no, it returns to normal except for nothing but feedback coming from the 4" door speaker on the drivers side. It certainly sounds blown to me. My questions...

where the hell was the fuse that was supposed to blow instead of the speaker? of course Mercedes doesnt give me a book that tells me which fuses go where, so instead of pulling them all out one at a time, does anyone have a diagram that shows the purpose of each fuse?

also, what the F happened? i have a feeling if i take my door apart ill find a blown speaker, but i wanted some input of any sort from you guys before i waste my time taking off the insanely time consuming quest for speaker access.

thanks guys.
well, if you determine that any speakers are blown, i have a set of OEM fronts for sale. let me know. =)
Old 08-13-2004, 09:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Used to be a CLK430
Feedback usually means that an amp went bad, especially since it played and then died. I'm not at all familiar with the stereo equipment in our cars, do the speakers have an external amp, or do they use the head unit for power?
Old 08-13-2004, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 CLK430
Originally Posted by nickv
Feedback usually means that an amp went bad, especially since it played and then died. I'm not at all familiar with the stereo equipment in our cars, do the speakers have an external amp, or do they use the head unit for power?
the bose speakers, to my knowledge, are all powered speakers, so maybe its the amp. im going to take the door panel off today and see what i find.

thanks guys.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
01' CLK55
Originally Posted by Petie
the bose speakers, to my knowledge, are all powered speakers, so maybe its the amp. im going to take the door panel off today and see what i find.

thanks guys.
actually, the factory speakers are NOT powered. The factory amp is located in the trunk of the car behind the driver's side panel, bolted to a metal brace thingy.