CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Electronic Trunk Opening Only Works when Top is Down

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2020, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes 2003 CLK430 Convertible
Electronic Trunk Opening Only Works when Top is Down

Hello,

Vehicle: 2003 Mercedes CLK430 Convertible Class W208

I am having an issue with the electronic trunk system. The trunk switch on the center console and the FOB only work when the soft top is in the down position. When the top is up, neither the center console switch nor the FOB button activate the trunk opening mechanism. The electronic switches only work once the top is 100% down, which may be a good clue implicating the rear bow lock (although manual manipulation of the switches there doesn’t help troubleshooting). The green emergency escape button does work when I push that (in fact this is how I got into the trunk in the past when it would not open at all as many other members have experienced). To get into my trunk, I have to put the top down first, then activate one of the electronic buttons. Just in case anybody suggests it, the mechanical key in the FOB does NOT work at all and I have attempted that method for hours multiple times without success.

I believe it must be some sensor switch giving an incorrect signal when the top is up. Any ideas before I take it in for the diagnostic testing?

Many thanks,

Nils
Old 07-05-2020, 08:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK 430 Convertible
https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...top-issue.html

This is the same problem i was having in the end i replaced the roof ecu with one from a scrap yard. Go through the thread first though as there are many tests you can do to try and isolate it