CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Sick & Tired- CLK430

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2004, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sick & Tired- CLK430

I have 2001 CLK 430..which has created many minor problems...from gas gauge, rattles, squeaks, and etc...
The look of CLK430, but material quality is awful...there has been many discussion about this..but it comes to my attnetion that I might go on and look for different car such as: M5, G35 Coupe, 3 Series, even Porsche..
I love the look of CLK430...what would the recommendation?
Old 08-15-2004, 10:20 PM
Almost a Member!

Mercedes CLK
Weird

Haven't had any problems yet with mine, and haven't heard many people with the problems you mentioned.

Throughout the past few years, I've owned many cars, such as Porsche, BMW 5 series, Lexus, etc...

Personally, I would only own a Porsche as a second car. Too harsh to drive and too small (at least for me, but I'm 200lbs and 6'3"). My brother in law has a Cayenne Turbo S. Traded a BMW X5 for it, and he regrets it. Loves the speed and power, but doesn't like the car drives and interior much. After driving his for a week, I have to agree with him.

After all of this, I can't see myself owning any other car as my primary car than a BMW, unless I wanted some type of SUV, in which case I surely would go with an X5, as I have never liked the M series (had one 2 years ago).

The small problems you mentioned on your Mercedes happened to me a lot with my BMW, including a replaced transmition at 50,000 miles. Fortunately, all covered under warranty, but still anoying.

I'm not crazy with the new look of the BMW's in general, and that I-nav system has had a lot of problems as well.

Not crazy with the lexus either. Liked the G400, but felt a little small, but very luxurious inside. Nice performance as well, but a bit harsh. Also lacks that 'head turning' factor for sure.

Basically, all this to say it really depends on what you're looking for. If just perfomance is what you're looking for, and not worried about smooth ride or size, then Porsche or CLK55, or SL55 is the way to go.
If you want performance with luxury, it's hard to beat the new M5 (v10 with 0-60 at 3.9sec), but be ready to pay huge amount on even the regular maintenance intervals (yes, even more than Mercedes, about 3 times as much!!!) or for repairs once out of warranty.

You may also want to look at Jaguars. XJR or XKR. I heard their reliability is very good now, but don't know anyone with one, and never owned one, so I can't tell you much about it.

Not a big fan of Lexus, so I wouldn't recommend that in general. Nice cars for sure, but, as I said, I like that head turning factor that Mercedes and BMW offer.

My 2cents. Hope this helps.
Old 08-15-2004, 10:32 PM

I've never liked Lexus (SC430, GS300, GS430, and etc...) they're TOYOTA!!
Well the thing is I've owned 2 bmw prior to this..minor problems such as rattles, squeaks, and etc...they're not existed..I've had 95 BMW m3, and 2002 325ci..
After those 2 cars, I picked up CLK430...then I'm starting to notice rattles and squeaks..when driving, it doesn't feel as tight as BMW..plus..i've been reading common problems that CLK has!

The thing is, when driving such 50k+ expensive car, I do not want minor problems, just these things do not make you happy!
Old 08-15-2004, 11:38 PM
Almost a Member!

Mercedes CLK
My 5 series

I agree with you that the BMW's do drive much tighter, but that's the way they're designed. But minor problems are always there, especially when a car is more expensive, and therefore, has more possibility of problems. If you go to the BMW forums, you will see the same types of gripes that you see here about the CLK's. I bought my 5 series when it had 15,000 miles and sold it when it had 80,000 miles. The small rattles and squeaks appeared as well, even though I am **** about the way I keep up my cars. I think that's just the nature of the beast. The more luxurious, the more electronics, the more toys, the more likely it is to start breaking, or squeaking, or rattling.
If you want to see A LOT of gripes, check out what BMW owners are saying about the I System that controls the entire car. It breaks down a lot, and has created a lot of issues with their owners.
That's one reason I like even the new Mercedes. They kept the controls relatively simple. And if I want to upgrade my stereo (which I did on my CLK), it's not a complete nightmare, if not an impossibility.

Again, if money is not a factor, and performance is the most important thing to you, then yes, the BMW does feel a lot more like a performance car.(though if you've never driven an AMG, you might want to give it a shot, as everyone I have driven has been simply amazing!).

To me, BMW's always drive like a performance car, except for the 7 series. You add the M to that, and it's even more accentuated. The Mercedes are a lot more luxurious and smooth in their ride. I like that better. Matter of taste.
Toe to toe, performance wise, the M3 and M5 are unbeatable. But if you expect them not to have rattles or squeaks after a little while, you might be in for a bad surprise.

Hope this helps :-)
Old 08-16-2004, 02:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S
You might have just gotten some bad luck. I've put 107k miles on my 2000 CLK430 and I don't have any squeaks/rattles/material quality issues.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just sell it, things will only get worse and more expensive. Sell it NOW or be trapped 4ever.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:35 PM

330i DINAN 3

Well I've been shopping around for trade in..
this dealership has a 2003 8k miles 330i DINAN stage 3 with upgraded suspension, exhaust, chip, and etc...
Price is at $37,795 with my trade in at 28,500.
Do you think that's a good deal..?
Old 08-16-2004, 11:01 PM

clk
When I do the math your only getting $9,500.00 for your car. Don't sound good to me. If correct I"ll buy your car for that. :v :v
Old 08-16-2004, 11:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1998 C230
You could get the 2005 g35 coupe that is coming out in decemeber..i believe. It has some interior, exterior makeovers, has more hp(i think 295) and if u get the 6sp sport option it will come with stock 19's. You can get this for all under 40g's...one hella of a car in my opinion...and i doubt u will have creaks, cracks, engine check lights etc. Here's a link...i just found it quick so mite not be the most informative. Peace

http://www.infinitihelp.com/Infiniti...escription.htm
Old 08-17-2004, 11:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 W205 C43 AMG
I would go with a new E500 or CLK500 with the sports package. More unique and upper tier than the Infiniti which is basically an alternative to the CLK.

What ever you choose, it would be a good idea to go new, with a fresh warranty and service coverage plan.

I've had my 2002 CLK 430 for 2 years and 25,000 miles now, with no problems!

If Benz is not an option, check out Audi or Volvo??
Old 08-18-2004, 07:21 PM

99 CLK 320, 2000 GSXR 750
Or better yet save your duckets and buy the 2005 Auston Martin DB8. Okay so it looks like a jag, but much wider.