CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK55 AMG - MANY ISSUES / GREMLINS - HELP?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2020, 08:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
87 420sel, 91 560sec, 02 S55 AMG, 09 A4 3.2, 14 Outback, 12 Focus SE
Exclamation CLK55 AMG - MANY ISSUES / GREMLINS - HELP?

So recently I had an issue with my fuel light blinking which meant EVAP leak. I did some research and used a car scanner and got this code: P0455 along with two other codes for bad O2 sensors - P0150 + P0130. So i decided I would clear the codes so I could drive home and see if they return. Once I cleared the codes, something odd happened. My left turn signal would indicate right only. That problem has now continued to come and go as it pleases. Sometimes I can only indicate right even when I try to indicate left, WTF? Could clearing codes have caused something to mess up in the programming of the indicator stalk or is this something unrelated? Its just annoying...

Should I change both O2 sensors or just one? The initial code I got was for P0150 but after clearing it, I now have P0130 as well meaning both bank 1 and 2. Just don't want to start throwing $ away on parts just yet unless there's a way to be sure it needs them both.

More recently, after a 2hr+ drive, I saw my BAS light and ABS light FLASH for under 1 second and disappear. The car BEEPS and stores the Brake Assist warning in the malfunctions screen most times this has happened. The ABS warning does not get stored and disappears even though it flashes on my dash. This FLASHING of the two lights has happened almost every time I've driven the car in the past few days now. It seems to happen at the most random times. Doesn't seem to matter if I'm applying brakes or throttle or just cruising using cruise control. The two lights FLASH together then disappear and only the Brake Assist warning shows up in the malfunctions screen. I have seen the ABS warning show as well a few times with the Brake Assist. The malfunctions clear themselves when I restart the car.

Does brake assist malfunction mean I need brakes? I know the rears are good, I was told the fronts are close to needing replacing. Do 2001 CLK55's have brake pad wear sensors that can throw a warning code like this? The issue is that the lights don't stay on and go away.

All brake lights function including the 3rd brake light. No lights are out. I do know (from what the previous owner has told me) that the car will not shift out of Park in the WINTER (cold). I'm in Toronto so it gets pretty cold here. This has not happened to me yet as I bought the car in summer and have driven it about 1000mi or so without experiencing this myself. I won't be driving it for winter so I'm not too concerned but I did some reasearch on the forum and people have said the ABS / EPS / BAS lights have caused some to be unable to shift out of park unless they use shift release. Thinking maybe these two issues are tied in together?

Old 08-30-2020, 02:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
87 420sel, 91 560sec, 02 S55 AMG, 09 A4 3.2, 14 Outback, 12 Focus SE
No help? I've done some reading and most people with any kind of ABS / BAS / EPS issues are saying that their brake lights don't work or their cruise doesn't work. Both those things work for me. The only issue I face is the where I can only seem to indicate right even when I try to indicate left. I'm not sure if changing the brake light switch will do anything for me since the symptoms don't match. For my issue, the ABS and BAS/ESP lights flash for half a second and I hear an audible beep and it usually just stores the Brake Malfunction message. No lights stay illuminated on the dash. The issue has not come back and I don't even have the o2 sensor or the evap leak codes stored anymore, even though i didn't clear them... any help is much appreciated!