CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

bad smell, need new interior???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bad smell, need new interior???

I bought a 2000 clk320 about 2 months ago and I love the car but there is a definite funk smell coming from the carpets and matting underneath. I've tried everything from a detail/shampoo to lifting up the carpets and spraying a little lysol underneath (thinking it was mold/mildew). I also called the dealership I bought the vehicle from and they already used an ozone generator on it. So now I'm on last resort and am willing to replace all the interior carpet but I can't find anywhere to buy the replacements kits. Anybody have any ideas.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:08 PM

clk
I guess you had the cabin air filter changed.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:38 PM

yep I did that last week. It's definetly the carpets
Old 08-17-2004, 10:29 PM

clk
That sucks
Old 08-17-2004, 11:39 PM
Almost a Member!

Mercedes CLK
Here's a possible solution

You need to put baking soda all over your carpets, and let it sit for a couple of days, then vaccum it out. This will absorb most odors. Be VERY generous (you should not see any carpeting anymore). At this point, you may want to spray pure lemon juice on the carpet (this is what they use at the morgue and autopsy labs to get out dead body smell), then you then need to steam clean all your carpeting with a professional steamer you can rent from Home Depot, and use Cascade Dishwashing detergent. Why Cascade you ask? Because it doesn't sud. It will also take stains and smell out better than anything else, and not leave that funk smell after it dries. Someone may have tried to clean it with a cleaner that suds, thus creating mold. This should take care of it.

Another reason this may be, and I don't mean to be dark about this, but a friend of mine bought an almost brand new car for a few hundred dollars, because someone had died in it and it sat for a couple of days. That smell was everywhere (carpet, seats, cloth on ceiling, etc...) and was IMPOSSIBLE to get out! He had to replace the entire inside, which was still cheaper than what the car would have cost him anyways. Since the car was never in an accident per say, I don't believe they have to report it.

There are companies that specialize in cleaning houses or apartments after someone dies. You might want to contact one of them and ask them what to use other than what I recommended, they might have even more ideas.

Hope this helps.

Keep in mind, I am not responsible for results. I am not a professional cleaner, I just play one on TV :-)
Old 08-18-2004, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
05 E55
Khena, that's some good advice and a crazy story about your friend! What kind of car was it?

chausis69 - I had some funk on my floor mats, so I took them out of the car, threw them in the washing machine and then dried them in the dryer and the smell was gone. But as far as the interior carpet, , I would try what khena said before you go through the dauting task of taking it all out.

And, don't forget the ceiling, that absorbs some odor too!

I hope your car doesn't have flood damage, that could explain some of the mold.

Good luck.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:27 AM
Almost a Member!

Mercedes CLK
Corvette

Originally Posted by str8ridin
Khena, that's some good advice and a crazy story about your friend! What kind of car was it?
It was a Corvette. Had 2,000 miles on it. It was actually a bit more than a few hundered dollars. I think he paid $8,000 for it, which in 2000, for a 2000 Corvette, you couldn't beat. After replacing everything, he basically bought the car for more than half of what it was worth. Not a bad deal if you don't mind riding around in a car that had a dead body in it for a few days.

I was waiting for it to turn in Christine at any moment :-)

Last edited by Khena; 08-18-2004 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Fixed Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S4
uuuh, he never said someone died in his car??
j/k

anyway, try this stuff, it may help, but its more for your HVAC system...

FIGIFRESH:

http://www.storesonline.com/site/598...oduct/BG%20708
Old 08-20-2004, 10:01 PM

Thanks

Thanks for the advice. I used the Baking soda it took some of the smell out but left a few little stains in the carpet(no big deal it's under the floor mats) Anyways the dealership I bought it from is sending someone out to take care of the problem.