CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Possible Faulty Ignition?????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2020, 03:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 Mercedes CLK 320 Convertable
Possible Faulty Ignition?????

My 2000 CLK320 had a no crank, no dash lights, no start issue. I would spray CRC electrical cleaner in the key hole and then it would work fine. But now the issue has become worse: the SRS light flashes very dim, the turn signals and wipers do not work, and the cigarettes lighter moves between 14 amps and 0 amps!! I can see the voltage change while I wiggle the key. However, the car starts and runs just fine?? Is this my EIS? or should I start checking my SAM modules? I have an iCarsoft scanner and it reads no faults with the EIN and SAM. The DataStreams are fine. I had replaced the clock spring/steering angle sensor last year and that took care of my ABS/ESP issue. When I turn on the wipers, the SRS light flashes and I can hear a clicking behind the center of the dash????? Turning on the right turn signal flashes the left turn signal?????
Hopefully someone else has had this issue. Today, the car starts just fine, but then stalls/ It starts back up but the SRS light is on. Again, I ran my scanner and did not get any trouble codes!!!!
I also tried the horn and it stuck ON. Had to turn car off to stop the horn.

Old 12-08-2020, 04:19 AM

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
1998 CLK 320
Unfortunately I don't have a definitive answer, but it doesn't sound like the SAM at all. It sounds more like a "crippled" relay, or possibly the ignition switch assembly, but the way you describe it sounds like a bad ground and the details make me think about relays, so if a relay is going bad (but hasn't yet failed completely), it will exhibit the same symptoms as a bad ground (in many cases).

That's all I got for you. I hope it helps.

G/L