CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

No crank - Possible EIS issue or something else? Steering unlocked always and can ins

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2021, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
No crank - Possible EIS issue or something else? Steering unlocked always and can ins

I just acquired a 2001 CLK320 cabrio. Previous owner stated that battery died and after putting in a new batt. the car would not crank. I have read much on here about the issue but can't make heads or tails of it as I seem to have other weird issues. I suspect maybe the key or EIS but would like to know if there is a way to test those to be sure.

Here is a list of symptoms and what I have discovered so far.

Brand new group 49 battery with 950cca, still no crank.
Place key in ignition and it will turn all the way to position 3. All lights come on dash. However this doesn't send signal to start relay or fuel pump as neither seem to operate with key on or in position 3.
If I jump the relay on the K40 with a wire the car will turn over as soon as the key is placed in the #2 position. So I know the starter and solenoid are good.
If I use jumper wire on fuel pump relay in trunk I can hear pump operate, so fuel pump is good.
Steering lock seems to be non operational as it doesn't lock steering with key out of ignition or ever. It is always unlocked.
Using camera phone confirmed that key IR is working, can see light when pressing lock, unlock, trunk and panic.
Weird thing is that I accidently placed my Ram key in the ignition since they look very similar and was able to turn the ignition all the way to the number 3 position with the same results as if using the actual MB key. This also has me thinking that the problem is with the EIS or theft protection or something????
When I hook up the icarsoft MB2 I can read via selecting the OBD2 function and get no codes but this function is limited from my understanding, but when I select diagnosis then "Benz" and select proper car, I get "no link" error. This happens with automatic search and manual selection of any modules. This tells me that maybe the key is not communicating with the cars ECU.

Is there something I am missing here? Is it possible if it had sat for too long with no battery that the car lost the memory of the key and if so what is the remedy. I have read it needs reprogramed by MB dealer but have also read that it isn't that simple and will actually need to replace EIS, key and ECU and have it programmed. Can anyone confirm either of these?

Any ideas of what to try next are much appreciated.

Thank for your time.

Ken