CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

2002 CLK430 Convertible Top Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2021 | 05:15 PM

2002 CLK430 Convertible
2002 CLK430 Convertible Top Problem

Hello,

2002 CLK 430. I replaced the hydraulic cylinders for the convertible top, filled pump reservoir and am trying to get the top to operate.

The top is in the closed position. Switch is closed for the luggage cover. I open the latch for the top (inside the car0 and push the top up. Control button for the top goes from dark to solid. When I try to open the top, I can hear a click in the area of the pump. Pump does not come on and nothing moves. The control button for the top flashes slowly (continuously).

I can raise and lower the roll bar, so the pump is working.

I decided to cycle the top manually. Opened the valve on the pump for manual operation, released the bow latch, and the bow can not be raised. I was able to raise and lower the bow when I first started, but it will not raise manually since I tried to operate the top automatically.

Any ideas on the problem and how to resolve?

Old 06-12-2021 | 07:05 PM

2002 CLK430 Convertible
Update 1

I tried again and was able to get the bow to raise manually. I put the top down manually to see if it would reset anything. I checked to tighten the release valve on the pump for manual operation - found that the valve was closed. I was able to put the top down manually without opening this. Possibly air in the cylinders?

Now, the top is fully down and case cover closed.

1. I wanted to check the hydraulic fluid level before trying the pump. Tried to open the trunk with electric open - it would not work. I was able to open the trunk manually. Fluid level in the pump reservoir is good.

2. Tried to put the top up automatically. When I activate the convertible top control switch to close position, the pump comes on and there is a pop in the rear, like the case cover cylinder has unlatched the switch. But the case cover is still locked and nothing moves. I move the convertible top control back to the close position, and again the pump runs but nothing happens.

Thoughts?
Old 06-12-2021 | 07:25 PM

2002 CLK430 Convertible
Update 2

I unlatched the case cover manually using the soft top tool. I then used the top control switch and was able to completely close the top. Latched the top closed at the front and then the windows closed as normal using the top control switch.

I then unlatched the top to open it automatically. The top opened completely into the compartment, and then the case cover would not shut. I am able to close the top from this position. Reopen, and it stops at the same place - case cover will not shut.