CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

My CLK430's mirrors were stolen last night....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2002, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Break his nose.

BTW, nice nav system you have, I wanna install the same one.
Old 05-18-2002, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yellow Mirrors ??

Sorry to hear of this vandalism, have you considered yellow mirrors ?
Old 05-18-2002, 11:16 AM

Or red ?

Old 05-18-2002, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 mercedes clk coupe
Originally posted by Safet
Break his nose.

BTW, nice nav system you have, I wanna install the same one.
i like it very its very nice and it fits the car when the monitor is up some people think its factory came with the car lol
Old 05-21-2002, 06:53 PM
LOH

Newbie, I really feel your pain. Before my 430 I had an E36 M3 which they stole the mirrors from. Very clean job without scratches. $750 later the body shop informed me there were three other instances in as many weeks. It is not uncommon to see hot-rodded Hondas with mirrors uncannily similar to M3 mirrors.

Fast forward to my 430 and my driver's side mirror glass was mysteriously missing not long ago. My dealer replaced the glass under warranty (bless his heart). Anyway, my point being that the mirror housing never fit flush again, neither before nor after the repair. In my case there was a small black plastic tab on the underside of the folding mirror housing which was supposed to slip into the fixed portion which is attached to the door. Instead of fitting under the fixed part it was on top. After much vacillating between should I or shouldn't I, I finally, very carefully, took a handsaw blade and cut a notch in the tab afterwhich I snapped it off with some needle-nose pliers. To my delight, the mirror housing fit flush again. I used a plastic card to protect the finish from the saw. The mirror maybe moves more than before (I think) but it's definintely acceptable.

BTW, before I tried this, I took it back to the dealer and they tried to fix it but couldn't without replaicing the entire mirror housing. The black tab that I'm referring to is on the base of the folding portion of the mirror. This base stays fixed while the mirror rotates above it. The base apparently comes as one piece with the painted fixed portion of the mirror which attaches to the door. Please excuse the long-winded post but I didn't know how else to explain it without pictures. I hope it helps.

Last edited by LOH; 05-21-2002 at 07:05 PM.
Old 05-21-2002, 10:55 PM

The car's at the shop right now, and I told them to fix the mirrors, so we'll see tomorrow if they eliminated the gap between the mirror body and the base. Thanks for the tip, I'll use it if they can't solve it.
Old 05-24-2002, 02:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 BMW M6, 2008 Ducati 1098, 2008 Ducati Monster S2R1000, 1971 Ducati Scrambler
Newbie, have you looked on Ebay for anyone selling mirrors?
Old 05-24-2002, 03:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 SL55, 2015 A250d, 2016 GLC250d
These mirrors are pretty trivial to diassemble and put back together properly - all you need is the appropriate (small) torx screwdriver (T8 I think). I suspect dealing with the indicator mirrors is slightly harder, but not much.

There are 3 body coloured bits, the triangle, the back and the front and they all clip together and then screw together. The covers come body coloured (and in UK are the equiv. of $150) per set.

So, any dealer should be able to get these back together with nothing sticking out or badly aligned ....

The mirror glass on the driver side (if you have dimming mirrors) is expensive, equiv of about $180 in the UK, so I can understand why they may have been stolen ...
Old 05-24-2002, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 mercedes clk coupe
Originally posted by Richard
These mirrors are pretty trivial to diassemble and put back together properly - all you need is the appropriate (small) torx screwdriver (T8 I think). I suspect dealing with the indicator mirrors is slightly harder, but not much.

There are 3 body coloured bits, the triangle, the back and the front and they all clip together and then screw together. The covers come body coloured (and in UK are the equiv. of $150) per set.

So, any dealer should be able to get these back together with nothing sticking out or badly aligned ....

The mirror glass on the driver side (if you have dimming mirrors) is expensive, equiv of about $180 in the UK, so I can understand why they may have been stolen ...
SAW A 95 S CALSS YESTERDAY TAT WAS MODIFIED TO 2000

IT WAS AMAZING THEY CHANGED THE BACK LIGHTS AND THE WHOLE FROND END

BASICALLY THEY ALSO CHANGED THE MIRRORS THEY DID A SUCH A GREAT JOB ON THEM IT LOOKED AS IF THEY CAME OUT OF FACTORY LIKE THAT