CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

TCM 2000 CLK430

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2021, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK430
Lightbulb TCM 2000 CLK430

What's up good people! I am in need of some experienced feedback.

I intend to replace the TCM on my 2000 CLK430.

Beckman Technologies website which sells remanufactured TCMs' with a 1 year warranty, states " used TCM/EGS can cause more problems than it solves. While it is true that the manufacturer equipped many of their vehicles with the 722.6 transmission, each chassis number has its own set of part numbers and codings that are crucial for proper operation "

My question is...has anyone replaced their TCM with a used TCM? Any issues?

I have priced used TCMs' on Ebay at 3/4s' less than what the dealership is asking and at half of what Beckman is asking. Autohubshop, an Ebay Top Rated Plus seller out of Cali is selling a used TCM for $98.00 with a 90 day warranty. Yes Part #'s match!

Also, SquareTrade Protection plan Allstate Ins is offered as well. 1 year warranty for $51.99

I have tried RockAuto, Parts Geek, ECS Tuning, FCP Euro and AutoHausAZ and at the time neither of these online outlets have the part.

Thank you for your input. EXCELSIOR!!
Old 07-04-2021, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 174 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
The Mercedes 722.6 transmission, was their first completely computer controlled transmission, made its debut in 1996 and was used across the entire MB model line of 4, 6, 8 and 12 cylinder gasoline and diesel engines, though as late as MY 2014 (on specific models).

It was a great success, because the mechanics's were durable (provided the fluid and filter PM was changed every 40,000 miles) and capital dollar efficient, where the adaption to each model only required VIN specific software, to correctly match the varying power train components (ECM, engine torque, shift points, differential ratio, sensors etc.). As a result, the transmission was also adopted in many non MB models (Porsche 911, Jeep 's Gran Cherokee and Wrangler, Chrysler's 300 and Crossfire, Jaguar's X and XK).

AutoHausAZ, FCP Euro, Parts Geek, RockAuto and ECS Tuning do not sell replacement TCMs, because it's not a straight forward DIY replacement, due to the availability and lofty subscription cost of the MB proprietary software, that is required to perform updates and VIN specific version coding to work properly, as well as the deletion of any stored DTC's .

When purchasing a used TCM on eBay, even though the P/N is the same, the unit may have come from a donor vehicle where the software version will not be compatible. Even in our W208s, during MY 2001 production, the ECU engine management was upgraded from Bosch Motronic version 2.0 to 2.8, the addition of paddle shifting in later MYs etc..

While the Beckman price may be twice that of cheaper eBay units, they are the OEM supplier to MB and state that the replacement TCM software will be correctly version coded, based on your current TCM P/N and VIN.

BTW, I suspect that the MB price quote is only for a virgin TCM module and the required version coded software will be at an additional cost.

Last edited by Serndipity; 07-04-2021 at 10:06 PM.
Old 07-04-2021, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,489 Likes on 986 Posts
This place is a joke.
Why do you need to replace your TCM?
Old 07-06-2021, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK430
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Serndipity
The Mercedes 722.6 transmission, was their first completely computer controlled transmission, made its debut in 1996 and was used across the entire MB model line of 4, 6, 8 and 12 cylinder gasoline and diesel engines, though as late as MY 2014 (on specific models).

It was a great success, because the mechanics's were durable (provided the fluid and filter PM was changed every 40,000 miles) and capital dollar efficient, where the adaption to each model only required VIN specific software, to correctly match the varying power train components (ECM, engine torque, shift points, differential ratio, sensors etc.). As a result, the transmission was also adopted in many non MB models (Porsche 911, Jeep 's Gran Cherokee and Wrangler, Chrysler's 300 and Crossfire, Jaguar's X and XK).

AutoHausAZ, FCP Euro, Parts Geek, RockAuto and ECS Tuning do not sell replacement TCMs, because it's not a straight forward DIY replacement, due to the availability and lofty subscription cost of the MB proprietary software, that is required to perform updates and VIN specific version coding to work properly, as well as the deletion of any stored DTC's .

When purchasing a used TCM on eBay, even though the P/N is the same, the unit may have come from a donor vehicle where the software version will not be compatible. Even in our W208s, during MY 2001 production, the ECU engine management was upgraded from Bosch Motronic version 2.0 to 2.8, the addition of paddle shifting in later MYs etc..

While the Beckman price may be twice that of cheaper eBay units, they are the OEM supplier to MB and state that the replacement TCM software will be correctly version coded, based on your current TCM P/N and VIN.

BTW, I suspect that the MB price quote is only for a virgin TCM module and the required version coded software will be at an additional cost.

Thank you so much for your detailed and thorough feedback! It was most helpful in my decision making. Beckman technologies contacted me and stated they did not have the part for my vehicle. However, they did state the best they could do is unlock and reprogram the TCM. I will leave that option on the board while I look for new one