CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Convertible, center console switches not working.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2021 | 02:02 PM

W163, W208
Wink Convertible, center console switches not working.

Hello all,

Symptômes :
  • Steady red light on soft-top switch.
  • Window, mirrors, door locks and rollbars switches not working. I can close the windows using the remote. (only front)
  • Everything works again when removing the negative from the battery

I have no advance scanner and the goal here is not to make the soft-top go down with the switch and fix it, only to regain the functionnality of the central switches.
The last line pointed me to a problem with an ECU that would cut functionnalities as every functions works with the remote (lock/Front windows).

Another thing that pointed me to an ECU related issue was that the rear windows were going down with the remote after an ECU reset (Negative cable), but as soon as the soft-top switch turned steady red, only the front was working.

I tried a lot of fuses to understand which one was related to the issue and found those three to be what's needed to make everything work again (in addition to permanently removing the fuse for the Soft-Top switch in the engine bay compartment) :

10 & 12 : Rear Windows
11 : Soft-Top Electronics.

If you're having the same issue as I have, try to remove those three for a couple seconds and you'll see every functions working again.

Those fuses are powered by the same current source which is a 12V directly from the battery :

To be able to reset those circuits On-Demand, I installed a 5 PIN relay that once activated, cut the current to all three circuits. You only need to do this when the switches are not working (The one on the right).

pin 87a always with current to the fusebox.
pin 87 gets activated with the switch, hooked to nothing.

Extra, look at all the wires coming in the Soft-Top ECU.... Crazy !