CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Need Engine swap info CLK320/C43 V8

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2004 | 09:58 AM

02 CLK320
Need Engine swap info CLK320/C43 V8

HELP ! I need to know if the stock transmission in my 02 CLK320 will work with a 99 C43 AMG V8 or how to modify it to work with this engine, I also need ANY swap info necessary to make this work. My V6 was dead on purchase and I found this 4.3 V8 very reasonable with ALL the goodies including computer. Will this engine even bolt up to the trans I have ? Benz and Hollanders say I have a 722618 ? or a type 607 , the 430 cars run a different transmission but I am not sure if it is an internal/electronic difference or a PHYSICAL difference. ANY ? ALL help , advice , info, links ,etc welcome, and I need info QUICK !!! Also concerned with radiator size and catalytic converters being possibly different.
Old 09-25-2004 | 02:18 PM

Wow...hope you're extremely mechanically/technically knowledgable. As difficult of a task it is just to fit the engine, you are going to have to trick all the ecm's to work with eachother and recognize eachother. Good Luck!!
Old 09-25-2004 | 09:00 PM

02 CLK320
well......

The fit is not the problem...I measured everything and the engine WILL bolt in in place of the V6, same spacing on the mounts, puts the bellhousing in the proper placement, etc. My local dealer "SAID" they could reprogram the car to the ECM that comes with the engine, its the TRANSMISSION nobody seems to know about. Physical problems are not the issue, like you said, compatability of electronics and if the bellhousings match is the issue I am having trouble with, check out ebay auction #7922564401, thats the engine I am considering...does ANYBODY know a swap meister out there that MIGHT have some first hand knowledge ?????????
HEEEELLLLPPPPP !!!!!
Old 09-25-2004 | 09:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by carguy455
HELP ! I need to know if the stock transmission in my 02 CLK320 will work with a 99 C43 AMG V8 or how to modify it to work with this engine, I also need ANY swap info necessary to make this work. My V6 was dead on purchase and I found this 4.3 V8 very reasonable with ALL the goodies including computer. Will this engine even bolt up to the trans I have ? Benz and Hollanders say I have a 722618 ? or a type 607 , the 430 cars run a different transmission but I am not sure if it is an internal/electronic difference or a PHYSICAL difference. ANY ? ALL help , advice , info, links ,etc welcome, and I need info QUICK !!! Also concerned with radiator size and catalytic converters being possibly different.
The difference is always physical with changes in the slip rings and pressure plates. It will probably work fine under normal conditions but under extreme forces it might let go in a big way.

The crackshaft on the 430 engine is stronger than in the 320 engine and this force must push down all the way to the wheels.

The ECU is not going to run the 430 engine either. So you will need a new one of those units too.

You can forget about quick info, you will need to do months / weeks of research before you even consider what is possible. So far you have done just visual but you need full break down of parts and fittings. You need a copy of Compact EPC from one of the eBay sellers.