CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

superchargers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2002, 02:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK 55
Question RENNTECH

Hi everyone, I'm new to the site and happened across the SC issue. I own a CLK 55 and have just started researching performance upgrades. I spoke to reps from both Renntech(Florida) and Kleeman(New York), both systems claim impressive numbers(450-500hp...), but Renntech also claims to include software upgrades for the engine and trans. Also, Renntech is now an official mercedes after-market option available through our local dealers. I would think that Mercedes Corp. would err to the side of better suited products for their engines (hopefully). But as stated above, it's a large number to swollow, so I'm debating. Any new informed info would be cool. Thanks
Old 05-25-2002, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Founder

ones too fast according to CHP!
Re: RENNTECH

Originally posted by Joe55
Hi everyone, I'm new to the site and happened across the SC issue. I own a CLK 55 and have just started researching performance upgrades. I spoke to reps from both Renntech(Florida) and Kleeman(New York), both systems claim impressive numbers(450-500hp...), but Renntech also claims to include software upgrades for the engine and trans. Also, Renntech is now an official mercedes after-market option available through our local dealers. I would think that Mercedes Corp. would err to the side of better suited products for their engines (hopefully). But as stated above, it's a large number to swollow, so I'm debating. Any new informed info would be cool. Thanks
Just an FYI - Mercedes Dealers are all independently owned businesses. Just becasue a dealership sells Brabus, Renntech, Kleemann, etc., does not mean that it is endorsed or supported by Mercedes NA or AG. We are setting up several SoCal dealerships as Kleemann centers - just as Renntech and Brabus have done.

A question for you. If you can get the same perfromance without modifying the software, would that not seem preferable? This is not rhetorical. I really am trying to pick your brain here as your decision is one that many have to make, and I am trying to see what the real deciding point are.

Thanks

Brad
Old 05-25-2002, 11:34 AM

2001 CLK 55
I 'm by far tech competent, but it would seem that if your dumping an additional 100 hp and the equivalent torque into a vehcile (not just a mercedes), that you would have to reprogram the electronics to facilitate the added work-load. As to the newly established partership between mercedes "dealers" and Renntech, your probably right. I understood it to be analogous to the AMG/Mercedes deal and being offered nationwide (could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time). Please don't misinterpret my rationale behind this, I feel both systems are equally viable, they just approach the bottom-line differently. I feel Kleeman is a very impressive system, and have no question of their integrity. Although at this point, it all boils down to who can offer the biggest bang for the buck. If you find me better ($) numbers for a low-boost SC, then this issue becomes a new ballgame.
Old 05-25-2002, 12:29 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Clarification?

Joe55-

Renntech products are offered at several MBZ dealerships- the most high profile one being Brumos. As Brad mentioned MBZ dealers are independent businesses and are free to carry aftermarket items. It is also to their discretion to warranty the cars with aftermarket parts. KLEEMANN products are available at many dealers as well- on brand new vehicles- just like RennTECH. What is misleading, however, is if someone is trying to tell you that MBZ NA endorses the use of these products or in any way supports their distribution nationwide. This simply isnt true.

Changing software to handle more power? Tell me how you can do this. A rear will either handle the power or it wont. No amount of programming will increase the size of a bearing or the area of a gear face. As for the trans- usually the "upgrade" is shifting programming. RennTECH stated in Car and Driver that they couldnt do ths with the E60 wagon they made- maybe now its different?? The stock drivetrain is rated by ZF at a maximum input of 620 lbs/ft, well below what either company is offering.
Old 05-25-2002, 02:04 PM

2001 CLK 55
Thanks Kleemann, I didn't know that the other companies were offered though local dealerships also. I understand that software configs cannot change the physical parameters of a car, but don't they dictate the way the vehicle responds ie. fuel to air ratios.....? The warranty issue of course I understand, this also has me worried, but somethings you just have to suck-up and drive on.
Do you know of anyone who could give me some start to finish numbers that are any less absorbent than the 17-18k that I'm currently being quoted. If so, lets talk.
Old 05-25-2002, 04:00 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

ECU

Joe55-

The engine ECM does control A/F ratios via a dynamic lambda target system (closed loop) and fixed maps (open loop). KLEEMANN has to address these issues as anyone else would- we just do it in a simple way.

If you put 50% more air through an engine you need 50%+ more fuel. You cant get 50% more delivery out of a stock ECM system- period (without changes to components). Put bigger injectors in and the non-boost operation is off- This can be a multi-page discussion on the pros and cons of one way or the other- one Im happy to have but tell me you want to hear it before I bore you to death!

17 grand is what everyone sells the 55 V8 system for (without installation)- this is KLEEMANN rules. There are no "deals" to be had. Installation costs will vary with geography- we cannot dictate area labor rates. Still- this is THE most cost efective SC system available. Show me something you can actually BUY for less.

Last edited by Brandon @ Kleemann; 05-25-2002 at 05:46 PM.
Old 05-25-2002, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 161 Likes on 130 Posts
R129 SL55 AMG & W208 CLK55 AMG
and while all that is happening, OBL is planning his next strike!!!!
heheheheh.....

cmon guys, dont mix cars and wives...
Old 05-26-2002, 01:10 AM

2001 CLK 55
Kleemann

Thanks for the response, but what's the "simple way" to address the ECU. Is this different from Renntech's way? What about the trans?
Can any competent mechanic/technician install this system, or is this a laborous process with a bunch of glitches that would/can srew someone up who is not as familiar with the Kleemann?

I'm assuming your in a position to work a sale, if this correct, Email me at [email]l] when you get the chance. Renntech's reps are in the process of sending me info and bottom line figures. I wasn't able to contact the Kleemann installation center in New York, but I was going to give it a try next week. But please know that I'm still in the infancy stages of deciding. Both systems are really attractive. Straight forward infor and figures would help me along nicely.

Kind of fed-up with mercedes advertising a car as the fastest one year, only to come out with a cheaper and faster car the following year. I guess that's technology for you. Thanks

Last edited by Joe55; 01-11-2003 at 03:00 AM.
Old 05-26-2002, 11:13 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Joe55-

Actually I am not in a position to work sales for our dealers. All of our dealers are independent business that offer other products and services along with KLEEMANN. Our location in Colorado is the only dedicated KLEEMANN facility.

Only authorized KLEEMANN dealers can install or kompressor- just like RT. It is a labor intensive job. However, it is not filled with glitches. We train our dealers in the installation of our product so that ther are NO issues with installations.

Last edited by Brandon @ Kleemann; 05-26-2002 at 07:59 PM.
Old 05-26-2002, 11:42 AM

2001 CLK 55
Thanks for the info, I'll contact the Colorado shop next week. Enjoy your holiday.

Last edited by Joe55; 05-26-2002 at 11:51 AM.