CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK 430: magnaflow muffler

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2022, 05:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
CLK 430 cabriolet (208)
CLK 430: magnaflow muffler

Hi,

Here is my first thread on what may appear as the most important thing with a CLK 430, the exhaust.
Indeed, the car has got a small (?) v8 but sound like a gentle tiny motor.
I had the chance to drive in the US mustang 5.0 and camaro 6.2 and they were the best road trips ever. Last mustang has such a vibrating sound!

Well If I won't compare with the CLK I would like to add some more guts to the Benz. I don't consider right now the option to drive without a muffler. I'd like to keep my resonator as well. Indeed I don't want any drone and don't want to appear as baby panda killer with my car (i am surrounded with electric car). My first idea is to change the muffler, been looking for Eisenmann but new ones are too expansive, missed to buy an used on the German ebay. I have a good offer on a Supersprint one with dual tips but I must say the video i've watched on Youtube don't give me excitement. OEM CLK 55 AMG are easy to find on ebay so I guess owners have switched them as well for greater exhaust sound.

While going through the threads I've read a lot about Magnaflow generic muffler that may give a pretty decent job (and sound) for a good price. It appears I've found one (new) for super cheap price and I would like to quickly but it.

So I had question regarding sizing.

2.75 inch is the size of the OEM muffler on the C430, the magnaflow I believe to be the 14815 ref is more or less a 2.25 inch entry diameter.

Will it be OK? Any consequences regarding the performance? Any risks for the Cats or the engine?

Thanks for you inputs guys

Julien
Old 08-22-2022, 08:10 AM

CLK 430 cabriolet (208)
I would like to add that I've also found a C36 AMG OEM muffler. It should be an easy fit but I've read that this muffler is very restrictive, even more than the CLK 55 AMG one.
Old 08-22-2022, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S
The AMG 55 exhaust will be your best bet. If you can find them cheap on eBay, get it. The one for a 55 motor will not be restrictive at all on your less powerful 4.3L motor, and much less restrictive than going from a 2.75 to a 2.25 like you're suggesting with the universal Magnaflow. If you're stuck on Magnaflow, at least get one with a proper sized inlet.

The car also sounds great if you also remove the resonator. I had a Remus exhaust on my 430 with no resonator and it sounded great, not droney at all and didn't really increase the noise levels much at all compared to a cat-back only. Louder when you step on it but not so much just driving around town. Muffler swap won't affect your cats or engine at all.

Also an FYI - a small displacement overhead cam motor will never sound like a larger pushrod motor no matter what kind of muffler you put on it.
Old 08-26-2022, 11:08 AM

CLK 430 cabriolet (208)
Finally I have decided to buy the magnaflow one. I am waiting to receive it. I ll need to find a garage that can work with inox as I would like the pipe from the oem model with 2.75 inch large to reach the muffler (as the pipe is coming with is only 2.25). As it was cheap, if sound is not satisfying I could then seek for an amg one when available on the bay
Old 09-05-2022, 03:52 AM

CLK 430 cabriolet (208)
Got a rendez-vous at a garage next week to install the magna muffler, I hope it will be an easy fit cause they are going to charge me a lot if not!
we'll try to show you some pics and vid once done

EDIT 18/09/2022:
Muffler has been installed and it sounds very very good. Exactly what I have in mind.

Quiet until 1000rpm then deeper and deeper sounds. Now I know I drive a V8. haven't been on a driveway at high speed. I'll check soon.
I have the feeling the car is more reactive, quicker at throttle, can't say if it because I enjoy the sound or if if perf has really increased.
Installation has been quite easy I guess, 2 hours job at the garage.

Last edited by jul92; 09-18-2022 at 02:49 PM. Reason: final feedback