CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Help!! Condensation in Headlights!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01' CLK 320
Unhappy Help!! Condensation in Headlights!!

How to get rid of the condensation in the headlights? I washed my car last Friday and yesterday I just realized there is condensation in the passenger side low beam and high beam headlights. There is very little condensation on the low beam lens, but 1/3 of the high beam lens is covered with condensation and moisture and I can see water inside the bottom of the lens. So what is the cure?

I searched "condensation" in this forum and some people said to leave the headlight on for 15mins and the moisture will go away; other suggested putting silicon around to seal off the moisture; while some said there is a vent hole and the water and moisture will go away eventually in about 4-7 days of dry weather. I didn't use my car since the car wash on Friday and and my car is parked in a garage and the temperature is around 5-10C (30's to 40's F) and the humidity is quite high. It seems the condensation and the moisture didn't go away or even decrease. Any suggestions?
Old 10-27-2004, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 C32 AMG
I'm having this problem as well, but on the drivers side. Part is interior condensation part is grime that has gotten stuck on the surface and makes it look foggy. You know condensation when you see it im sure, but you may want to see if the outside of the lens is dirty like mine (this makes it look worse than it actually is). This can be taken care of with a special attachment on a Porter Cable buffer or drill that polishes it off. IF anyone know how to get rid of this condensation stuff. i would appreciate the help too.
Old 10-27-2004, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
05 E55
I had condensation on my passenger headlight as well. I simply uncrewed the cap, pointed a hairdryer in there and held it there for about 5 minutes and the moisture cleared up.

However, when I put the cap back on, moisture again resumed.

So I just leave the cap off and haven't had a problem with it since. But anyway, give the hairdyer a shot.
Old 10-27-2004, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 C32 AMG
HAHA, you know i actually had the same hairdryer idea. I dont know if its a good idea to leave that cap off tho. if water gets in there you could have problems....
Old 10-27-2004, 06:57 PM

01' CLK 320
Well I guess leaving the cap open at night or vacation seems okay since the car isn't moving and no dirt can go in, but I am not sure if spider or small creatures would crawl in or not..... I will definitely try the hair blower method because the moisture has build up for almost a week and it is still there and I don't think it will go away "automatically". Do you guys have any idea why there is condensation inside? The cap is secured, so there is no way water can go in from the back. Isn't the lens totally enclosed except the opening at the back and there are rubber seals around, how could water and moisture get into it?
Old 10-28-2004, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
05 E55
Originally Posted by King320
HAHA, you know i actually had the same hairdryer idea. I dont know if its a good idea to leave that cap off tho. if water gets in there you could have problems....
i hear ya...but water gets in there with the cap on too, so taking it off makes no difference but allowing moisture to escape and not condense.

So, basically, in order to stop moisture collecting, I keep the cap off. Wierd, I know.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:50 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Using a hairdryer will work quickly, or simply drive around all day with the lights on and park the car with the lights facing the sun (headlights off when parked).
Old 11-01-2004, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 C32 AMG
Haha, i totally didnt catch the wording of what i said. Quite an ironic statement...dont let water get in there when there's already water in there... i guess what i meant was water on the wires rather than condensating on the glass.
Old 11-02-2004, 09:46 AM

CLK 230 Kompressor
To anyone who leaves the caps off, would you consider sending me one of your driving light (smaller) cap?

I changed the bulb once and left the cap sitting on the engine, and later driving off and then hearing some commotion in the engine bay when the cap fell off!

Nobody sells them individually by the way.
Old 11-03-2004, 05:03 PM

01' CLK 320
after more than a week, the condensation and the moisture are completely gone..... so next time ought to be more careful when washing my car!