CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

AC - dessicant bag and receiver drier or rec/dr only?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2023, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CLK430 Cabriolet
AC - dessicant bag and receiver drier or rec/dr only?

2003 CLK 430 convertible, 48k miles - AC went out abruptly, HI and Lo side readings are even at 100, injected dye, no leaks. Since values are even and no leaks, and system maintains the 100 pressure, I assume expansion valve stuck open or bad compressor. Thoughts on the more likely, or other possible, culprit(s)?

So far I have already removed the wiper assembly pieces and assorted drains and air boxes (that was fun) to get to the expansion valve, now getting ready to crack into the system. When I opened my compressor replacement kit it had a desiccant cartridge instead of a receiver drier.

Does the 2003 clk430 have a desiccant cartridge on the condenser along with the receiver drier? (which I now have to order), or does it just have the receiver drier only? I do not see an obvious place for the desiccant cartridge on the condenser.

Thanks from Dallas TX where it's been 104+ for the last 2 weeks and expected to be 104+ for the next 2 weeks.

- Ohana66