CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

2000 CLK430 MAF Exhaustion. What are next triage steps?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2023 | 08:58 PM

430clk
2000 CLK430 MAF Exhaustion. What are next triage steps?

Hello, helpful people!

My 17-year-old daughter called to say that the car had run out of gas. Stuttered and stumbled its way home. First run on my code-reader indicated multiple cylinder misfires. A quick phone call to a friend began efforts to chase down logical starting point: MAF Sensor. Started as suggested multiple places on this forum, with the MAFcleaner. This didn't work. Ordered and installed a new Bosch MAF sensor and replaced dirty air filters. Cleared the codes. Car ran without errors out of the driveway and up to a decent speed. Then, misfires and the check engine light again after about three minutes. Car definitely running cleaner, maintaining idle and able to run up above 3000 RPM. But, eventually rocking at idle and throwing codes indicating two cylinders misfire. Picked up another MAF sensor by Supreme. No change,

I have been frantically reading posts on this forum. Hoping for help with a general list of things to check. I think that it begins with spark plug replacements and diagnostic swapping of ignition coils.

Would someone be kind enough to give me the top five things to do when it does not appear to be the MAF sensor?

thanks so much!

The following users liked this post:
ivanlotter (01-22-2024)
Old 11-27-2023 | 12:09 PM

2000 E430
You ever figure it out? I'd check for fuel pressure to eliminate that being an issue. Our cars are very easy to check, there is a Schrader valve at the fuel rail, rent a fuel pressure gauge at autozone.