CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Suddenly No Acceleration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK430 Cab.
Question Suddenly No Acceleration

I've had the strangest problem I have ever experienced. It started when I made a right turn and it suddenly felt that the motor had cut out, except I still had power steering and brakes and the rpm's were about 1,500. The car simply would not accelerate. It was at idle RPM's but stepping on the gas pedal had almost no resulteven though the motor was running . It then started to accelerate normally.

Yesterday, several weeks later, I was driving down the road when it started doing the same thing. Even though I was on a 55mph road, the car simply stopped accelerating as I was in the left lane passing a car in the right.. Since I was going about 60 I put it into Neutral but it still wouldn't accelerate but it was running. The car continued to roll down the road so I tried to get in the right lane. In doing so I could see the car would accelerate very very slowly but while in Neutral as the rpm's very slowly increased, at around 4200 rpm,s the engine started to misfire. I switched through all the forward gears including Neutral but no acceleration but the motor was idling fine and smooth; also there was no passing gear. As I let the engine drop in rpm's it smoothed out again but with still virtually no acceleration. After turning it off and letting it set for about 1 hr. it started perfectly and accelerated perfectly all the way home.

It is obviously dangerous in this condition and I just had it towed the the local MB dealer. I even checked to see if something was blocking the tailpipe but it was clear.

Does anyone have any idea what is happening? The screen says "no malfunctions", the car starts perfectly and runs properly - most of the time - just this intermittent No Acceleration.
Old 11-09-2004, 02:00 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Had the same problem....is your CEL light on? Have you ever replaced your MAF? Doing so eliminated the problem for me.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 R230 SL55 / 94 W124 E500
I have had this problem on my previous W220 "S class" . changing the MAF should fix the problem. Good luck

Last edited by superstar; 11-09-2004 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11-11-2004, 01:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK320
I had the same problem only once in the last 3 years. Do I need to do anything now? I have not had the problem for a while.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:12 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Actually the problem was on and off for me as well. But after changing the MAF, the problem never occured AND I noticed significant performance improvements.