CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

W208 CLK 430 - Bypassing secondary cats. Enough pipe stub for connectors?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2024, 01:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 cls 500, 2002 clk 430
W208 CLK 430 - Bypassing secondary cats. Enough pipe stub for connectors?

Hi All,

2002 CLK 430 (w208).

Problem: Secondary cats have internal 'honeycomb' pieces that have come loose. Rattling at low RPM; impeding flow at higher RPMs.

Plan: Cutout and remove secondary cats (allowed where I live) and replace with straight pipe:
  1. 1st Cuts: both secondary cats just before pipes enters secondary cats (upstream side - see diagram #1)
  2. 2nd Cuts: Cut both upstream legs of Y pipe flanges (upstream cut - see diagram #1)
  3. Cut two pieces of 2.25" stainless 304 pipe to fit between 1st cuts and second cuts (Amazon)
  4. Connect pipe to cuts with 4 x 2.25" Exhaust Band Clamp Sleeve Couplers (Amazon)

(I have not been under the car to measure or look yet. My apologies - I'm not being lazy - I would look myself, but car is at son's dorm out of state)

Question: Making the cuts where I've indicated (see diagram #1) will there be enough straight "stubs" on the remaining upstream pipes, and also the Y pipe to connect the band clamps?

Specifically, enough of a straight stub (about 1.5") at cuts A, B, and C (see diagram #2)

I'm not a welder, and local shops don't want to touch (read modify) exhausts in Colorado. The manufacturer of the band clamps say they work very well if you have enough "straight stub" to insert into the band clamp (about 1.5").

Asking anyone who has been under there or who can take a look. Again, my apologies. I'm not being lazy - I would look myself, but car is at son's dorm out of state. Spring break quicky project and I want to have the parts on hand.

Many thanks.

- John

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

W208 - 2002 CLK 430 Exhaust Components:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Band clamp