CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Engine won't crank, cooling fan runs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2024, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK320
Engine won't crank, cooling fan runs

CLK320, will not crank and the fan runs at full speed. Replaced the k40 relay box with a genuine merc part. Touched a couple of the pins and the motor cranked so figure it is not a starter motor issue. Can't hear the fuel pump go. Possibly unrelated is that the temp and gear LCD on the dashbaord are pixilated, i.e. not reporting correctly. Have a hunch the ECU may not be getting power or the ECU has failed. Previous owner said that a wire to the fuel pump was replaced, which makes no sense, but can't get greater clarity. Any suggestions? How could I test to see if the ECU gets power?
Old 02-23-2024, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK320
Additional info: When I cranked the engine (by connecting the two pins) for a quite a few seconds the fan stopped. I am guessing the ECU detected engine movement via the crank position sensor and sent that message to the fan - does the CPS report direct to the ECU or does it also report to some other electronic bit which then activates the fan?