CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Remote trunk button does not work

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2024, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 CLK230 Cabrio
Remote trunk button does not work

Hi all,

I have the classic problem of the trunk not unlocking when I pull the button for trunk release in center console (my key does not have a trunk unlock button). So I am left to fiddling with the thin manual key :-(

Yesterday I dug out the pse pump in the trunk and swapped the vacuum lines for trunk and passenger door unlock. That helped: I could now unlock the trunk by pressing the unlock door button on the remote.

So my question: can I conclude that the vacuum line from pse pump to trunk release is fine? and that the trunk release mechanism works?
And most importantly: where would you go from here?

Bonus: the remote trunk button in the center console has a solid red light when the trunk is open, and lights off when its closed. So I suppose the pin in the trunk is sending a correct signal to the button.

Any help is appreciated!

Have a fantastic sunday :-)

Pete
Old 05-12-2024, 04:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 CLK230 Cabrio
Sorry long post. It basically sums up to: please help me find the part number for the soft top fabric bow (S84/16) microswitch - mine is faulty :-)

UPDATE:
The trunk remote button works fine when the soft top is down. And the soft top operating button is flashing (1 hz) when driving with the top up.
So that led me to conclude (after reading a bunch of threads in here) that my car thinks the soft top is not securely closed. After spending some quality time with the soft top operating mechanism I found a faulty microswitch at the soft top fabric bow locking mechanism. This one:

When measuring the microswitch I get off limit Ohms (no continuity) both when the switch is pressed and unpressed, so clearly dead. But I am having a hard time finding the actual switch+cable harness (see picture) as a spare part:

On the black cord is written: "129 821 09 51" and on the black connector "012 545 84 26". When I google those I seem to find other spare parts. So my question: can anyone help me find the correct part number for the microswitch?

Any hints are much appreciated! Thanks in advance

Pete