CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Convertible roof has some strange problems, anyone able to help?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2024, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 CLK320
Convertible roof has some strange problems, anyone able to help?

Hello. I bought a CLK430 cabrio knowing the roof didn’t work but it wasn’t a hydraulic issue (I checked and confirmed this). Seems to be an electrical issue. First issue I know of for sure is it needs a new tension cable. Front of roof does not hold itself up when I unlatch. After this it gets complicated. I am able to open the roof once, and then close it once no problem other than front slamming down at the end because of tension cables. But once I close it, it seems as though the car doesn’t register that the roof is closed, so I get flashing warnings, and the trunk is unable to open. Once I am at this point, I need to pull fuses in the trunk to reset the roof and get it to open and close again just once. Headrests work fine, and when I unlatch the headrest windows go down no problem. So I need to keep resetting it for it to work. What should I start looking into? Thanks!

Old 06-17-2024, 02:48 PM

CLK 430
#1 there are two adjustments for tensioning the front to hold up when you unlatch. They are actually located at the hinge in the trunk after the lift and before the drop down into the trunk. I had to adjust mine by about 1/8” and it took about 10 minutes. There are also two little adjustment screws at the hinge right above your head at the window. You might adjust those 1-2 turns, too.
Old 06-19-2024, 10:20 PM

2002 CLK320
Originally Posted by andy_breuer
#1 there are two adjustments for tensioning the front to hold up when you unlatch. They are actually located at the hinge in the trunk after the lift and before the drop down into the trunk. I had to adjust mine by about 1/8” and it took about 10 minutes. There are also two little adjustment screws at the hinge right above your head at the window. You might adjust those 1-2 turns, too.
Thank you for your reply. I took the roof apart to see that’s the cables were actually both fully snapped, so adjusting won’t help. I ordered new ones and they’re on the way. Thank you.