CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

need some buying help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 02:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 E430 Sport 38K 18'' Brabus mono block V Chrome/BMW Green (E34) 5 Spd. Chip Intake Exhaust, etc.
need some buying help

Hey guys,

I'm about a week away from picking up a CLK 430. I need to know what to look for in terms of what fails on the car. I also need to know if there is anything to avoid in terms of years, motors, etc.etc. What year did the CLK 430 get a passenger side air bag? Do they have side air bags? Is the motor ok? Any years or vin# to avoid? Is there a factory tweeter location I really need you help. Also, If anyone has one to sell let me know. Thanks, -Todd hartracing@hotmail.com
Old 11-23-2004, 07:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Used to be a CLK430
Originally Posted by hartracing
Hey guys,

I'm about a week away from picking up a CLK 430. I need to know what to look for in terms of what fails on the car. I also need to know if there is anything to avoid in terms of years, motors, etc.etc. What year did the CLK 430 get a passenger side air bag? Do they have side air bags? Is the motor ok? Any years or vin# to avoid? Is there a factory tweeter location I really need you help. Also, If anyone has one to sell let me know. Thanks, -Todd hartracing@hotmail.com
In terms of what fails:
O2 Sensors
MAF Sensor
Crankshaft position sensor

All years have had passenger side airbags, I'm not sure about side airbags. Engine is strong, but make sure the oil was changed with synthetic from day 1. Factory tweeter location is on the door between the side windows and windshield. There are a few for sale on the classifieds section. Good luck!
Old 11-23-2004, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 C32 AMG
I have a 320 but these problems seem to permeate all CLK class cars. Squeaky interior and awful stock floormats unless you have the ones that snap down to the floor. Also i have heard of alot of sunroof failures (mine's broken right now $3000 to fix out of warantee). The 430 is an awesome car.
Old 11-23-2004, 01:13 PM

SL 500
A few problems..

Good luck w/ your purchase. I have to agree w/ the rest.. CLK is a nice ride but there are many annoying little things which make me wonder sometimes how can such things exist in an expensive german auto .. but here's are some things i have encountered:

1. Replaced CAT Converter (under warranty)
2. Power Windows (switch..warranty)
3. CD Changer (replaced twice..warranty)
4. Rattling interior noises (hopeless..still exist)
5. Cup holder design.. poorly designed..make sure never to spill anything in the center console. electrical circuits will be toast..
--

But overall, I really love my car. Once piece of advice I recommend is do get a Benz which is Starmark Certified. If not, skip it.. Benz repairs are costly and without a warranty (original or extended), you are asking for headaches.

Amer

amer
Old 11-23-2004, 02:09 PM

13 S550 4Matic
Hey Amer.......How are the wheels doing? Hope they are still looking good. Did you see my post about the 19's?

As far as buying a clk-430 watch out for service history and oil changes. Make sure the car drives well and do not be afraid to push it to make sure everything sounds right.

The only problem I've had was the fuel senders, but that was easy to tell.....check engine came on and the car sputtered once after filling it up. I haven't had any other problems.
Old 11-23-2004, 03:20 PM

CLK 430
Can CLK's be pushed hard...extended warrranty yes/no?

I'm a new owner to an older CLK 430..its a 99' but has only 70k. I'm just wondering if I run the car every once in a while am I going to end up in the shop with major repairs. Also I drive only about 10,000 miles a year, so being that I have 70k..do many of you suggest purchasing an extended warranty or not. My wife thinks we should chance it since most warranties are like 2 yrs 24,000 miles....so in 24,000 i will only have 94,000 miles...any thoughts?? Thanks everyone
Old 11-23-2004, 04:37 PM

SL 500
Yo sup man..long time no hear.. rims are doing fine..i will check out your other post. later

Originally Posted by CiLKY
Hey Amer.......How are the wheels doing? Hope they are still looking good. Did you see my post about the 19's?

As far as buying a clk-430 watch out for service history and oil changes. Make sure the car drives well and do not be afraid to push it to make sure everything sounds right.

The only problem I've had was the fuel senders, but that was easy to tell.....check engine came on and the car sputtered once after filling it up. I haven't had any other problems.
Old 11-23-2004, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by Q2SUPHOMIES
I'm a new owner to an older CLK 430..its a 99' but has only 70k.
Hmm, I bought my car at 86k miles and no one would sell me an extended warranty. I think a lot of them cut off around 60K but check around ASAP and see what you can find before you cross whatever the magic number is.

Question to all: has anyone on here gotten an extended warranty for a CLK past 70k? Where? Too late for me but might not be for him :/
Old 11-24-2004, 12:47 PM

CLK 430
Extended Warranty

Yes, you can get them....Give this guy a call...He was willing to do a plan for mine which has 70,000 miles

Dale Easton
Customer Care Manager
1SourceAutoWarranty.com
1-800-516-5002
Old 11-24-2004, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by Q2SUPHOMIES
Yes, you can get them....Give this guy a call...He was willing to do a plan for mine which has 70,000 miles

Dale Easton
Customer Care Manager
1SourceAutoWarranty.com
1-800-516-5002
Dude, this guy is awesome! I can still get a warranty from him even at 94,400 and it'll be the SAME as if I had gotten it when I just bought the car at 80k! If only I knew back then...replaced an AC compressor and other stuff already. I think I might look into getting one from him still, though.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:27 PM

CLK430 designo
Problems I've had...

windows and sunroof fixed due to sensor malfunction. The sunroof still doesn't close when going at a high rate of speed. Oxygen flow sensor replaced.

The front piece running between the two foglights came off and I haven't fixed it yet because I'm scared of the cost. I have heard that this is common and it seemed to come off pretty easily. What broke were the attachment points on the bumper, the long piece is still in good condition. Not sure if anybody else has come across this problem.
Old 12-12-2004, 02:22 AM

also engine mounts tend to go bad. if it does u'll notice viberation when idling.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:33 PM

CLK 430
warranty

glad to help bro...I was thinking about it..mine has 70k...and im going to bag it because I only drive about 12k a year...prob worth the risk..what do you think??