CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Please HELP with comand 2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL 350
Please HELP with comand 2

I ask help to anyone who have news about comand 2 aftermarket installation
I want to put a command 2 navigator on my clk, buying it on e-bay in germany because there are very good offers. Mercedes Italy does not fit me a used one on my car, but they say it is possible to do it. I asked to a generic navigator installer, he sed me he never install a comand 2 but he thinks he can do that, without particular problems, if there are all the pieces he need and I buy the right model. I read here all the topics about installing comand 2 and a lot of people say it is very complicated, almost impossible. After I read that steve can do it and that he installed some aftermarket comand 2 in USA. Unfortunately I can’t use him because I’m in Italy.

My first answer is about why people say that it’s so complicated? why is more complicated than to place another aftermarket navigator as Pioneer or something else.
What is the risk trying to place the comand 2? I can imagine the the maximum risk is to find problems to connect it with the integrated comand on the steering wheel buttons or with the telephone? are there other risk?
The other very big question is what comand 2 do I have to buy?? what are the right code of comand 2 for installing it on my clk 2000 with comand at steering wheel? Can I place only with serial number starting with 208 ……. or can I place others as for the old E class w 210 or even others, even more recent??
The other point is that the comand 2 was on the older clk 97/99 too, so I think that it is not enough
to buy one with code starting whit 208….it should be necessary to know the right numbers after the car code? I made a lot of calls to Mercedes Italy asking for it, but I didn’t find any answer.
Last question, does it need some program to speak Italian? I will buy the Italian cd with Italian map…is it enough or do I need other cd or else to have it in Italian.
I really hope someone can give me information.
Thankyou very much to everyone
Old 12-05-2004, 06:12 PM

Speak with Steve

http://www.mbenznl.com/

All the info you could want and more.
Old 12-05-2004, 06:27 PM

2000 CLK 320
From what I gather from your post, you seem to be asking if its possible to install Comand 2 (I assume this is the new generation of Comands found in the latest 211 E class) into the older models such as 210 E class and the 208 CLK class (what you have).

From what I understand, integrating Comand 2 with the older models such as the 208 would be very difficult, if not impossible. The older models use a different technology for communicating, CAN BUS, while the COMAND 2 doesn't use that technology (I forget what its called). So you can physically install the COMAND 2 into your car but it won't integrate (work together) with your steering wheel controls and your Dash display.

Also, there is that question if the COMAND 2 will run on its own (without being connected to the car network). The original COMAND would shut down every 30 minutes when not connected to the car network because it didn't sense the car was running and therefore turned off. The work-around with this was to connect a small box (forget who makes it) that fooled it to thinking the car was running without using CAN BUS (I wont go into details).

Like someone said, talk to Steve and he'll enlighten you on the possibility if there is any.
Old 12-05-2004, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
It's somewhat difficult for a number of reasons:

1) you should get the proper COMAND 2.0 for your year car. Differences in model years create different requirements for the COMAND you should use; or, you should be well versed in the various COMANDs so that you can install the one you get properly.

2) you need to make sure you get a working unit. A lot of units sold on eBay.de will be non-working or stolen. If you do get a working unit and the prospect of possibly stolen goods doesn't bother you, then ebay might be good for you.

3) the dash must be modified to hold the COMAND. Not terribly difficult, but it can be extremely challenging to someone who isn't very handy with that sort of thing.

You can purchase a self-install kit directly from Steve for your car, that will be guaranteed to have the proper parts for your particular car. At least the parts will be correct. Installation should then be possible by most competent installers, or maybe even yourself.

Also, Steve may be willing to travel to your area if there are others interested in your area. Or, you can travel to his area (eastern Holland) or you can meet him in Stuttgart, as he is there often and that is quite a bit closer to you.

Give him an e-mail and see: steve@mbenznl.com

-s-