CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Blown Exhaust Header - Update

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK320
Blown Exhaust Header - Update

Drove the car home from school for thanksgiving. What a disaster it was. Actually lucky we caught it in time before the diff tore itself apart. Got a new pionion seal, and, yes, you guessed it, my passenger side exhaust header actually broke off inside, which made a disturbing rattling noise. I was embarassed to step on the gas in front on people.

Anyway, we replaced the header, pinion seal, and flex discs. Changed out all fluids, belts and hoses. So far so good.

Next week I am changing out the shocks. I decided against Koni and am going the Bilstein route. I will be changing shock mounts as well and lubricate all suspension bushings. DO you reccomend bilstein HD or sport?

My wood trim is real scratched up, so I decided that I will have them painted body color and clearcoated for a more sporty look, and as a cheaper alternative to new trim pieces. Expect updates on this in a month or so as I have to ifnd a body shop capable of this work out here. Also, after browsing the e46 forums I think I am going to attempt painting the chrome window trim black by myself. Again, expect updates within the next month or so.

Furthermore, the avic N1 brain unit will be moved out of sight into the trunk from under the passenger side dash.

PS. I am now at 107K Miles and the engine and trans - while rough at cold still operate perfectly when properly warmed up. Whoever says Mercedes doesnt make solid cars doesnt know what they are talking about.

Also debating financing a second car. Something sporty, 4wd preferred...any suggestions?

Last edited by 3199cc; 12-07-2004 at 08:44 AM.
Old 12-07-2004, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 Coupe
did all of this stuff just...go bad? or did you do something that caused it to break? because if that **** happened to mine, i'd sell it right away and never buy another MB
Old 12-07-2004, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 C32 AMG
What kind of trim do you have? Brown darkwood or Birdseye maple?
Old 12-08-2004, 12:11 AM

CLK320
nothing cause it to go bad. Mercedes has another pipe inside the header for some reason and the welds came lose after 107k miles. Im not really concerned the car has never left me stranded for a minute its a quality car its just been a little neglected for a while.

I have the burlwood trim with a black interior. I think the silver will contrast nicely.