CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Need help with getting *NEW* wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2005 | 11:13 AM

2001 CLK 420 Coupe
Question Need help with getting *NEW* wheels

Hi Guys.

I am looking to buy a set of 4 new wheels the ones that I have on my 2001 CLK 430. As you probably know as well as I do, the Mercedes stock AMG wheels are very fragile and with me living in the East Coast (New Jersey) I can't help but fall in the numerous amount of potholes in the streets I have to drive in. I've already bent my wheels...I can't even remember anymore, perhaps 5,6, or even more times already. It's so frustrating!

1.) Is there any brand or of wheels (or rims) out there that can
a.) fit my car perfectly and
b.) be very tough with potholes?

What I mean by "fit my car perfectly" is a set of wheels that when installed, the performance and feel will be equivalent to that of the stock AMG wheels that I am used to. I ask this because I asked one of the service reps if this can be done and he highly suggested against it saying that performance wise I am better off with the MB AMG stock wheels.

Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks in advance,
Victor
Old 01-07-2005 | 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 C32 AMG
Consider the source on that last comment. Service reps are great for a lot of things, aftermarket parts is not one of them. I have heard that a lot of guys like ASA wheels and i know that alot of guys in the NJ/NY area have them and say they're pretty strong. Also if you decided to go a more traditional route, BBS makes really tough wheels but they're a bit pricey if you're looking for something to drive through Manhattan. I would definitely keep it 18" or smaller. 17 is your best bet. I would definitely check out tirerack.com's selection of wheels, and ebay has some cheap stuff too. However, "cheap" has an ambigous definition in this sense, thats why ebay wheels scare me a bit. Good luck
Old 01-15-2005 | 07:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 GLK250 BlueTec & 2009 ML320 BlueTec
If you are bending your original 17" wheels, forget about bigger ones, you need tires with "meat" to protect those wheels from the potholes, the higher the profile of the tires the better your wheels will be protected.
Old 01-15-2005 | 05:32 PM
Almost a Member!

00 CLK 320
I totally feel your pain. I live in DC and I had the new ( 255 35 18's)E class sport rims on my 00Clk 320 and I went through six rims before I learned my lesson.
Theine is right we need to go to a larger profile tire to keep from getting the rims bent. Everyone I talk to keeps telling me to go with a 17". Something like a 225 45 17 or 245 40 17's.

here is a pic.
Attached Thumbnails Need help with getting *NEW* wheels-img_0230a.jpg  
Old 01-15-2005 | 05:36 PM

CLK320
you gotta be doin something wrong then. I have stock AMGs on my car with Ventus tires (the cheapest one they make in the pair sizes I need) and I have had them for the past 20K miles. They have a 94Y load rating, which is probably why, but I haven't gotten a flat, a bubble, or scratched a rim as a result of potholes while driving through queens or manhattan.