CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Illuminated sill question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 09:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
'03 E55 (My Daily), '01 ML 320 (Wifey), Twin Turbo '69 Camaro (In Progess)
Illuminated sill question

Fellas,
Installing the illuminated sills tonight that I picked up off eBay and came with no instructions so I got them off formymercedes.com and wired the driver side up great....no problems. However, when I wired the passenger side up, I've got the power lead but I cannot find the correct signal lead that works with the door switch. I used the brown wire with the blue stripe but it doesn't shut off after the door is closed. Anyone help me with which wire this is? Don't want to hack up every wire in the harness!Thanks!
Old 03-12-2005, 04:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02clk55///2010GLK350
pull off the molding that runs from the sill up towards the door switch. You can then see behind the switch to see what color wires are coming off the switch. Follow them down to the sill and you can work on the wire there. Hope that helps.
Old 03-12-2005, 04:18 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
991.1 gt3, w204 c63 507
hmm.. let me know what you think of it once it's installed.. take pix actually. i think i might pick one up soon.
Old 03-12-2005, 05:41 PM

02clk55///2010GLK350
Tough to get a good pic illuminated...Hope you get the idea of what it looks like.
Attached Thumbnails Illuminated sill question-untitled-1.jpg   Illuminated sill question-untitled-3.jpg  
Old 03-12-2005, 10:37 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
991.1 gt3, w204 c63 507
looks great! i'm gonna get one too :p
Old 03-14-2005, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'99CLK320Cab,silver/grayint
I have also just bought a pair of those but haven't installed yet.

How did you wire them? The instructions on the site suggest drilling a large hole on the stock sill, but I do not feel like distroying them.

Could you please post more details of how to do it properly. How are the stock sills attached and how can I remove them? Just pull by force?

Did you cut the wires? I feel a bit uneasy about cutting the stock wiring.....
I'll posti pics of mine too once I get it done. Mine have the "Mercedes Benz" text on them.

By the way, I really liked the customer service of formymecedes.com. Very fast, polite etc. They also respond to inquirys quickly. Got the grill and flat emblem too. Installation of those took like 10minutes and one tool.

Last edited by tmartins; 03-14-2005 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:43 PM

02clk55///2010GLK350
It is done just like the instructions on mymercedes. The sill just pulls off. Wiggle it a bit as you pull from one end. There are 4/5 U shaped clips that hold it down. They just pull up.
Once you open up the plactic cover over the wire harness(million wires) you will find the red hot wire real easy(big and only wire that is anywhere near red).
Finding the brown wire is another story. Once the sill is off, you can pull the molding that goes up to the door latch off really easy(easy to push back to reinstall). You can find the brown wires that you need by looking into the space behind the door switch. I just sliced it right there and feed the wire down to the sill.
Test and retest each step of the way.
Cutting the hole(needs to be 1" to give room for the LED terminals) can be a bit unsettling but once done you will never see it again.
Here is the #1 thing that is left out of the instructions...The wire from the LED will ultimately have to cross the spot where the clips must go. I found that the wire got crimped without cutting a thin channel across that track. The wires can then cross over to the inside edge of the sill where they are tucked away.
Before you push the new sill on top of the old one besure that you check the rubber ends of the old sill. I found that I had to make a few very small slices in the rubber so that the new sill would slide onto and have the ends covered correctly.
Once you are sure that it will fit..pull off the 3M tape strips and gently place it on the old sill(only get one chance).
At that point, connect the wire from the new sill to the terminal of the relay that you installed.
A gentle push downward and you will hear the clips lock the old sill (w/ the new one on top) into plce...Voila! Nice Job!