CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Headlight lenses

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2005 | 03:15 PM

Headlight lenses

I just saw a clk with headlight lenses that were completely clear on the bottom half, and the normal "reflectory" type on the top half.

Why is this?

They look much better than mine do, which are the regular unclear glass all over, can i swap the lenses over or is there more to it than that?

Also can any recommend the whitest, brightest bulbs available for the standard non-xenon headlights, as mine look yellow like theyre from a 1970's car!

Thanks
Old 02-03-2005 | 07:54 AM

03 R230 SL55 / 94 W124 E500
Originally Posted by mrbon
I just saw a clk with headlight lenses that were completely clear on the bottom half, and the normal "reflectory" type on the top half.

Why is this?

They look much better than mine do, which are the regular unclear glass all over, can i swap the lenses over or is there more to it than that?

Also can any recommend the whitest, brightest bulbs available for the standard non-xenon headlights, as mine look yellow like theyre from a 1970's car!

Thanks
The one you saw is ,a xenon headlight,which is clear on the bottom half, and the normal "reflectory" type on the top half. You must upgrade your car headlights to a xenon to get that look . You must change the whole assmbely in order to get that clear lenses. Unfortaunatly, you can not replace just the lenses , because they are glued to the assmbely. unless you go to the junk yard and get some broken assmabely and you remove the lenses with a heat gun and reglue them on your car
Old 02-03-2005 | 08:18 AM

Doh!

How much would it cost to convert to xenons then?
Old 02-03-2005 | 01:27 PM
Out Of Control!!

w211 & w124
Keep checking ebay. There are always a pair of w208 xenons for sale.
Old 02-03-2005 | 02:45 PM

what do you guys think of these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

are they worth it and do they replace just the dipped beam and the full (flasher) beam, or just the sidelights(smaller lights by the w208 grille)?

thanks
Old 02-03-2005 | 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S
Those won't give you the clear lens look you're after. They only replace the main headlights (the larger ones) and don't have anything to do with the high beams, unless of course, you choose to replace the high beams instead of the low beams, or buy two kits (4 bulbs/ballasts).

I have an OEM Euro Xenon setup w/ an additional Hella HID retrofit kit in my high beams.