CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Front Bumper Removal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2005 | 10:52 PM

Front Bumper Removal

Can someone go over the front bumper removal procedure again. I have read the previous posts but there are several variations of doing so. I don't know which to follow. This is for a 99 CLK 430 with the front headlamp washers.

I have read that you have to twist the covers off the headlamp washers. I tried this but it seems as if it's about to break!
Old 02-05-2005 | 12:45 AM

2000 Silver CLK430
http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/

This is the official Benz site...it has the instructions for this and anything else you want to do. 24 hour subscription is about $20. You need to download Java prior to running it...read the instructions carefully
Old 02-05-2005 | 01:31 AM

1999 CLK430
I read that as "Star Trek Info." I thought you were trying to be an ***, lol i need to get some sleep!
Old 02-07-2005 | 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55
You'll need an 8 and 10 mm ratchet, a 13 mm open ended and a phillips head screw driver.

1. You need to detatch the foglight splash shields from the car (you can leave them attatched to the bumper) using the screwdriver.
2. Using the 8mm, disconnect the 4 bolts around the head lights.
3. With the 10mm ratchet, remove the bolts on either side of the bumper where it meets the fender (near the wheel).
4. To access the next two fasteners, you'll need to remove the sidemarker and part of the impact strip (or remove it from underneath the car). They're elongated bolts with a 10mm head on either side of the bumper. Loosen them until they drop down but don't remove them from the bumper.
5. Finally, remove the front fan shroud and you'll be able to access the two 13mm nuts. Remove them.
6. CAREFULLY remove the bumper (it is advised to have 2 people do it so that you don't scratch the fender with the sides).
7. If you didn't disconnect the wiring and temperature sensor from below before removing all the hardware, then disonnect everything before you pull the bumper very far off the car.

Make sure to organize the bolts so that you know where they go back. I drew a picture of the front of the car on a pad and placed the bolts on there so I remebered.

It should take about 40 minutes the first time. The bumper is quite light, so it should just slide out. If it doesn't, then you forgot some bolts.

Good luck and feel free to PM me if you need some help.
Old 02-07-2005 | 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
Originally Posted by str8ridin
You'll need an 8 and 10 mm ratchet, a 13 mm open ended and a phillips head screw driver.

1. You need to detatch the foglight splash shields from the car (you can leave them attatched to the bumper) using the screwdriver.
2. Using the 8mm, disconnect the 4 bolts around the head lights.
3. With the 10mm ratchet, remove the bolts on either side of the bumper where it meets the fender (near the wheel).
4. To access the next two fasteners, you'll need to remove the sidemarker and part of the impact strip (or remove it from underneath the car). They're elongated bolts with a 10mm head on either side of the bumper. Loosen them until they drop down but don't remove them from the bumper.
5. Finally, remove the front fan shroud and you'll be able to access the two 13mm nuts. Remove them.
6. CAREFULLY remove the bumper (it is advised to have 2 people do it so that you don't scratch the fender with the sides).
7. If you didn't disconnect the wiring and temperature sensor from below before removing all the hardware, then disonnect everything before you pull the bumper very far off the car.

Make sure to organize the bolts so that you know where they go back. I drew a picture of the front of the car on a pad and placed the bolts on there so I remebered.

It should take about 40 minutes the first time. The bumper is quite light, so it should just slide out. If it doesn't, then you forgot some bolts.

Good luck and feel free to PM me if you need some help.
excellent write up... the only thing I would add to it would be to remove or disconnect the thermometer from the bottom section of the spoiler before taking the bumper too far away...
Old 02-07-2005 | 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

00 KLEEMANN CLK 430 - 02 KLEEMANN CLK55 - 88 Euro / Jap AMG 560 SEC Widebody
Str8 - where did you get the last mod listed in your signature and could you post a thread telling us all about it?
Old 02-07-2005 | 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55
Originally Posted by lowphat
Str8 - where did you get the last mod listed in your signature and could you post a thread telling us all about it?
Believe it or not, it only cost me a dinner. And the details will get me banned for a few days from this site.
Old 02-07-2005 | 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
Originally Posted by str8ridin
Believe it or not, it only cost me a dinner. And the details will get me banned for a few days from this site.
you should still share as much details as possible... which restaurant, what wine, what entree...
Old 02-07-2005 | 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

00 KLEEMANN CLK 430 - 02 KLEEMANN CLK55 - 88 Euro / Jap AMG 560 SEC Widebody
Str8 -

Come on man - you are the guy who can post a step by step description of how to ____________ (fill in the blank with anything having to do with benz) I read your guidebook to bumper removal.

Here's how I think the footprints went down:

First off - the restaurant happened after Str8 tore it up and made her hungry.

The Benz was the hook...

Oh, you drive a benz?
Yeah baby.

When can I see it?
Just turn and look (Would any of us ever leave our rides where we can't see them?)

Ooooooooh nice! Daaaaaym!!!
Yeah.... I know.

Let's go see it.
Are your hands clean?

WHAT?
Never mind... just don't touch anything.

My friend has one just like this.
Yeah right.

What?
That's great.

Can I sit in it?
Do you mind taking your shoes off?

WHAT!?
Never mind... Just keep your feet off the carpet.

It feels so low! It's like my *** is draggin' on the ground.
Think so... wait ‘till later.

EXCUSE ME!
W208er'

Is that the model number?
Yeah, what's yours?

Mine's a BMW.
(Should have sent her packing right then)

What does that thing do?
It's the steering wheel. (Should have sent her packing right then)

Did you put that on yourself?
Well yes, I did.

Wow! Howd' you do it?
Well... first I gathered an 8 and 10 mm ratchet, a 13 mm open ended and a phillips head screw driver.

Then...

1. I detached the foglight splash shields from the car (you can leave them attached to the bumper) using the screwdriver.
2. Then, using the 8mm, I disconnected the 4 bolts around the head ......

Does it have a clutch pedal?
Why don't you take a look?
OK... (up go her feet)

(Here would be the part we can't know about because Str8's a gentleman)

.....an hour later....

Do I get to drive it now?
Sure..... call me sometime and we'll set that up.
Old 02-07-2005 | 05:46 PM

a Black
Now this is getting interesting! Footprints...well done!

This is one that I cannot say
Old 02-07-2005 | 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 Coupe
hahahha i like the part whith the 8, 10, and 13 mm stuff...clever
Old 02-07-2005 | 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55

Dyam, that woke me up!!! No coffee for me now!
Old 02-08-2005 | 10:22 PM

CLK 430
Removing Bumper

We just repainted mine last weekend...Yup bout 40 minutes to take off...couple bolts you have to remove without visually seeing them..you have to feel for them from the wheel well...Thank god someone was there helping me who was knowledgeable...not easy..but definitely not impossible.