CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Dealer Problems !!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2005 | 07:26 PM

CLS 55 AMG
Dealer Problems !!!!!!!!

I took my car to the dealer today for squeaking sound from front end. My

car is still under factory warranty, 44,000 miles 01. I lowered my car with H&r springs and bilsteins last Nov.

I already new what the problem was because I took it back to the shop that

did the lowering, mind you its a very reputable shop that only works on mercedes and bmw's. I have been going to this shop for 6 years now, so any way they looked at my car yesterday and showed me the problem, The driver side upper control arm bushing the rubber housing was torn so that was causing the squeaks. They told me to take it to the dealer since its covered under warranty.

I take it to the dealer today and they call me and tell me they are denying the warranty claim due to ALTERED SUSPENSION, they are trying to say the bushing was damaged during the install of my new springs and shocks, Like how would they know it was damaged during that install they didn't do the work. I told them that the install was done at a certified mercedes shop and the tech denied damaging the bushings. I waiting for a call back from the service manager. Any advice guys???
Old 02-10-2005 | 08:07 PM

CLK 430
Hate to say it, but don't bother fighting these guys... just goto another benz dealer.
Old 02-10-2005 | 08:14 PM

CLS 55 AMG
Originally Posted by MeNmyCLK430
Hate to say it, but don't bother fighting these guys... just goto another benz dealer.
The next closest dealer is an hour away and it takes 4 weeks to get an appointment.
Old 02-10-2005 | 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

00 KLEEMANN CLK 430 - 02 KLEEMANN CLK55 - 88 Euro / Jap AMG 560 SEC Widebody
First off - if your car is the red CLK with the Lorinser DTM it is absolutely gorgeous man.

Second - ask your dealer where you can get a copy of the actual warranty documents that set forth the terms of the warranty so you can read them for yourself and then speak from a position of knownedge rather then having to rely on the dealer's interpretation of the warranty provisions. Once you know what the applicable terms are then you can decide whether the dealer's interpretation is correct. If you disagree with the dealer's interpretation then I'm sure the warranty provisions include some language that sets out a process for the resolution of disputes. That process is probably something other than "going to court" and probably involves your submission of your complaint to a neutral board or arbitrator named in the warranty who would then issue an opinion. Probably not binding but certainly something your dealer would have to acknowledge.

I see that you are from MD. I am more familiar with VA law than MD, but it would surprise me if MD law did not include code provisions that address the resolution of vehicle warranty disputes. In most states you can go online and view the state code. State codes are always indexed for ease of use.

Good luck man and make sure you take pics of whatever you can to document the condition of the part in question - especially if you get it repaired somewhere else and intend to recover the cost from the dealer.
Old 02-10-2005 | 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

00 KLEEMANN CLK 430 - 02 KLEEMANN CLK55 - 88 Euro / Jap AMG 560 SEC Widebody
Bottom line though - depending on the cost of the part plus labor to install - might not be worth your time to argue. They've got us over a barrel on the small stuff.
Old 02-10-2005 | 08:29 PM

CLS 55 AMG
Originally Posted by lowphat
First off - if your car is the red CLK with the Lorinser DTM it is absolutely gorgeous man.

Second - ask your dealer where you can get a copy of the actual warranty documents that set forth the terms of the warranty so you can read them for yourself and then speak from a position of knownedge rather then having to rely on the dealer's interpretation of the warranty provisions. Once you know what the applicable terms are then you can decide whether the dealer's interpretation is correct. If you disagree with the dealer's interpretation then I'm sure the warranty provisions include some language that sets out a process for the resolution of disputes. That process is probably something other than "going to court" and probably involves your submission of your complaint to a neutral board or arbitrator named in the warranty who would then issue an opinion. Probably not binding but certainly something your dealer would have to acknowledge.

I see that you are from MD. I am more familiar with VA law than MD, but it would surprise me if MD law did not include code provisions that address the resolution of vehicle warranty disputes. In most states you can go online and view the state code. State codes are always indexed for ease of use.

Good luck man and make sure you take pics of whatever you can to document the condition of the part in question - especially if you get it repaired somewhere else and intend to recover the cost from the dealer.
Yes that is my red Lorinser CLK. Thanks for the compliment.

I am going to the dealer to try and resolve this face to face. Its kind of petty to deny a claim on a torn boot on a bushing, i would think thats a common problem for any car lowered or not lowered.
Old 02-10-2005 | 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL500
ive heard of dealers denying warranty claims if they can connect them to a mod on your car. it sucks, but i dont think theres really anything you can do. i dont remember if i read them on these boards or from some place local. try a search on here.

as far as the torn boot, i had to get mine replaced too