CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

ABS/ASR warning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 05:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 320 (W208)
ABS/ASR warning

Hi

I have a 98 CLK 320. I just fitted a set of Eibach 30 mil lowered springs all round the vehicle.

I then started the car and I am getting the ABS and sometimes the ASR warning lights appearing. Also when I use the brake just when the car is actually about to stop (its last 1 or 2 wheels turns) the ABS sends a shudder through the brake pedal and the passengers can feel/hear it too. It is as if the ABS is kicking in when not required.

Does anyone know of this problem and how to fix it?

regards,

Richard
AUSCLK320
Old 02-20-2005, 02:32 PM

2001 CLK320
this might help

I don't know if the Australian market models had brake assist "BAS" in that model year or not...

There are a couple of brake pedal switches associated with the system - some members have earlier posts that mention these (relatively inexpensive) switches go defective.

I think the brake assist equipped models have two such switches that are under the dash panel area. One is for the brake lights and the other is for the ASR/ESP/BAS system.

I haven't had this problem myself, so I can't point out exactly. But here's a post related the the W208 (CLK) posting I found searching:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...0&referrerid=0

If this doesn't work, go into the advanced search mode and search using brake+assist in the CLK forum it will pull up the thread.

Another possibility is if the ABS wheel sensor has gone bad (magnetic sensor) it will also indicate a ABS fault by telling the system one of the wheels appears to be rotating at a different rate than the others, creating a false indication a wheel has locked up.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2006 CLS55 AMG
I had the same problem with my CLK 430. It was the stop lamp switch. I think the part cost around $10-15. My buddy who is a tech at Fletcher Jones installed it for me.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:57 PM

CLK 320 (W208)
Hi

I went to my local Mercedes-Benz dealer and they quickly looked at my car on the spot. They hooked something up to my car and came back to me and said it is either your:

1) front passenger side ABS sensor
or
2) front passenger side wiring to the ABS sensor

They could not book the job in for a few weeks so I ordered a new ABS sensor ($205 AUD) for the front passenger side and since they were out of stock I should have it tomorrow. I will fit that and test and if all is ok I will be happy. If a problem still exists then I will test the wiring for problems.

regards,

Richard
AUSCLK320
Old 02-23-2005, 01:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2006 CLS55 AMG
Good luck to you, I hope that solves your problem. I am glad my problem was relatively simple.