CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Warranty Engine Replacement questions.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2002, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a car
Warranty Engine Replacement questions.

Hey guys

I have been saving up for a Kleemann supercharger for a while now. Something always seems to come and I have to spend the savings.
Anyways, my 98 CLK320 has been consuming more oil that it should be. It now has 94000 miles. I brought it to the attention of my service guys at 70,000 miles a few months ago and they kept dropping the ball on followup measurements for oil consumption. Luckily my car is still under Starmark warranty to 100,000 miles so the entire engine will be replaced free of charge. This might be my lucky chance for an upgrade. Do you guys think that it would be possible to change the engine to perhaps the 4.3 V8 or perhaps even the AMG 5.5 V8 and I pay the difference of engine cost. How much more apart could that engines be costwise? I'll bet the 320 engine is probably in the area of 10,000 bucks? Starmark is payin I wonder if it is discounted as well to them. Will I need to get a new transmission as well? I'm going to ask my techs on monday. I was just podering the thoughts of having a 4.3V8 or an AMG 5.5 V8 in a 320 that would be the ultimate sleeper.
Feedback would be appreciated.
Old 06-07-2002, 09:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I tried that one with my Motorola Timeport Phone. The simple answer is no. I have a pretty good relationship with my service guys, and they go out of their way to get anything I need for my car, but they were unable to upgrade my phone to the newer V60. Under warranty, you get the same part replaced, and unfortunately do not have the option to upgrade at your cost. It makes sense though, as it helps keep down bogus claims.
Old 06-10-2002, 09:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 161 Likes on 130 Posts
R129 SL55 AMG & W208 CLK55 AMG
i sincerely dont think it is possible to upgrade a V6 engine to a V8 without serious modifications to other things like gearbox, differentials, driveshaft etc etc..

count your blessings ur getting a brand new engine, spend the extra money u were willing to pay on other things like replacing hoses and other mechanical parts and ofcourse.... SUPERCHARGER!!!!

i think the kompressor kit is the best way to upgrade power efficiently in any condition. i wish i could afford to right now, otherwise i would have done it without thinking twice!