CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

New CLK 500 Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2002, 01:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1963 220Sb
New CLK 500 Review

Stand by for action! Mercedes has launched a pre-emptive strike against forthcoming competition in the prestige coupé market with its all-new CLK – and Auto Express is first to drive it in the UK.

Aimed at the imminent Audi A4 Coupé and BMW's still secret 6-Series, the CLK offers variety and style thanks to a wide engine range and generous helpings of luxury. Driven here is the flagship CLK500. Powered by a thumping 5.0-litre V8, the newcomer will sprint from 0-60mph in only 6.2 seconds and hit a top speed electronically limited to 155mph.

Based on the C-Class's acclaimed rear-drive platform, the CLK certainly makes a favourable impression. Its elegant, swooping roofline meets the sophisticated S-Class inspired front end to create a car that looks smaller than it actually is. Superb rear-end de-tailing and the absence of any B-pillars give the car a flowing appearance.

Inside, the CLK has masses of space, seating four in comfort. The platform's extra length has been put to good use, freeing up generous quantities of rear leg and shoulder room for a coupé – and there's a practical boot, too. Settle behind the wheel and you'll find the seat is low-slung and has a position to suit all sizes.

On our test car, stereo and trip computer settings could be adjusted thanks to four buttons on the steering wheel, meaning that you rarely have to lift your hands off it, leaving you to make the most of the chassis.

Drivers used to the razor-sharp dynamics of a BMW M3 might find the CLK a little lacking in involvement, but that doesn't mean the V8 Merc is short of driver appeal. It grips keenly in bends, and thanks to a rear track that is 10mm wider than the C-Class's, it always feels completely stable. On twistier roads, the CLK needs a firm hand to turn it into tight bends at speed. At first, the light steering leaves you uncertain about grip levels, but as the miles pile on, confidence grows.

A cosseting ride is guaranteed, too, with the suspension capable on both bumpy country roads and motorways. The smooth five-speed gearbox adds to the serenity, swapping cogs seamlessly. Barely a whisper invades the cabin, so well insulated is the interior from wind, road and engine noise.

As you'd expect, standard kit is impressive, with several hi-tech options from the S-Class available. It all adds up to a package that, for the moment at least, sets the standard for rivals to match. Only time will tell if BMW and Audi are up to the challenge...
Old 06-12-2002, 02:41 PM

Porsche Cayenne S, MB E430, & M3
Re: New CLK 500 Review

Originally posted by PHYBENZ
Stand by for action! Mercedes has launched a pre-emptive strike against forthcoming competition in the prestige coupé market with its all-new CLK – and Auto Express is first to drive it in the UK.

Aimed at the imminent Audi A4 Coupé and BMW's still secret 6-Series, the CLK offers variety and style thanks to a wide engine range and generous helpings of luxury. Driven here is the flagship CLK500. Powered by a thumping 5.0-litre V8, the newcomer will sprint from 0-60mph in only 6.2 seconds and hit a top speed electronically limited to 155mph.

Based on the C-Class's acclaimed rear-drive platform, the CLK certainly makes a favourable impression. Its elegant, swooping roofline meets the sophisticated S-Class inspired front end to create a car that looks smaller than it actually is. Superb rear-end de-tailing and the absence of any B-pillars give the car a flowing appearance.

Inside, the CLK has masses of space, seating four in comfort. The platform's extra length has been put to good use, freeing up generous quantities of rear leg and shoulder room for a coupé – and there's a practical boot, too. Settle behind the wheel and you'll find the seat is low-slung and has a position to suit all sizes.

On our test car, stereo and trip computer settings could be adjusted thanks to four buttons on the steering wheel, meaning that you rarely have to lift your hands off it, leaving you to make the most of the chassis.

Drivers used to the razor-sharp dynamics of a BMW M3 might find the CLK a little lacking in involvement, but that doesn't mean the V8 Merc is short of driver appeal. It grips keenly in bends, and thanks to a rear track that is 10mm wider than the C-Class's, it always feels completely stable. On twistier roads, the CLK needs a firm hand to turn it into tight bends at speed. At first, the light steering leaves you uncertain about grip levels, but as the miles pile on, confidence grows.

A cosseting ride is guaranteed, too, with the suspension capable on both bumpy country roads and motorways. The smooth five-speed gearbox adds to the serenity, swapping cogs seamlessly. Barely a whisper invades the cabin, so well insulated is the interior from wind, road and engine noise.

As you'd expect, standard kit is impressive, with several hi-tech options from the S-Class available. It all adds up to a package that, for the moment at least, sets the standard for rivals to match. Only time will tell if BMW and Audi are up to the challenge...
how is a4 coupe a competition for clk or 6 series. Shouldn't it's direct competition be 3 series coupe? I don' t get it. Audi's still have a lot of engine issues that I have heard from people. But the designs are improving.

LIL Raja
Old 06-13-2002, 01:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
Re: Re: New CLK 500 Review

Originally posted by LILRAJA

how is a4 coupe a competition for clk or 6 series. Shouldn't it's direct competition be 3 series coupe? I don' t get it. Audi's still have a lot of engine issues that I have heard from people. But the designs are improving.

LIL Raja
Nice article. tnx

The 2003 Audi RS6 is quite impressive. 450HP; 0-60mph 4.5 seconds!!

http://www.audi.com/de/de/neuwagen/a..._limousine.jsp
Old 06-13-2002, 10:23 AM

Porsche Cayenne S, MB E430, & M3
Re: Re: Re: New CLK 500 Review

Originally posted by karl k
Nice article. tnx

The 2003 Audi RS6 is quite impressive. 450HP; 0-60mph 4.5 seconds!!

http://www.audi.com/de/de/neuwagen/a..._limousine.jsp
]

no doubt they are fast with twin turbos etc. But that still does not answer my question. RS6 might be competition for 5-series, E-class. But the A4 is no rival for any CLK. Oh maybe clk240. I forgot this was an Euro Article.

thanks!
Old 06-13-2002, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 CLK500
My personal opinion is that the CLK500 is more on the level of an Audi S4/A6 or a BWM M3/5-series. However - aside from my personal preference of the Merc over the Audi or Bimmer, I think that both companies' cars look wayyyyy wayyyy too similar. The A4/S4/A6/A8/S8/RS6 look the same to me, as do the 3-series'/5-series'. While I think Audis are nice, I've really grown to dislike BMW's (although you can't deny an M3/M5).

Before he got a 2002 LS430 (which I personally think is the nicest luxury sedan out there, if you get it done up the right way), my dad used to have a '98 740iL. The interior was very stark, and since then I've just been turned off to BMW's.