CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

A/C Not blowing hard and smells

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550
A/C Not blowing hard and smells

This might be bad timing with the 90 degree weather in NY but i noticed my a/c is not blowing hard at all (when about 4 or 5 bars are showing on the display) i only actually feel it at full blast.... is this normal?? i want a light breeze sometimes i cant handle a very cold blast for my 40 minute commute to/from work.

Also i noticed that the a/c has a smell of burning candle wax or something in that nature, at first i thought it was something outside but the smell never went away

PS when blasting the a/c fully does this waste a large amount of gas?
Old 06-10-2005, 04:56 PM
GGM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 E350
Originally Posted by clkcadet
PS when blasting the a/c fully does this waste a large amount of gas?
The fan speed does not affect how much gas you use. It's how much the compressor has to run to cool the car to the temp you set. The lower the interior temperature you set, the more the compressor will run and the more gas you will use. I live in Florida where I pretty much use the A/C all year and never really notice a difference in gas mileage in the one or two months when I don't run the air that much.

I'd rather stay comfortable than worry about 1 or 2 mpg.

Hope this helps.

GGM
Old 06-10-2005, 08:50 PM

05 C55, BMWX 3.0, Subaru Forester (Shaggin Wagon)
CLKCadet:

Hope you are not having the same AC problems that I had on my 05 CLK500...Don't think so.

But to be on the safe side, I would definitely have it checked.....drainage pan retrofit and then have them check the catalyst...You can remind them that this has been a pervasive problem w/ CLK's

With my car they could not fix it and that included replacing the evaporator and hoses. But mine smelled more like a cross beteen the Staten Island dump and mold. i think you are in the clear on that one.

As far as loosing blowing speed that sounds wierd. Even if it were icing up due to freon it wouldn't be affecting the air blower.

I would check this out.

BTW love that Cadet Blue color. I'll miss it. As you may recall I had that color on the 05, CLK500.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S550
Originally Posted by scovit
CLKCadet:

Hope you are not having the same AC problems that I had on my 05 CLK500...Don't think so.

But to be on the safe side, I would definitely have it checked.....drainage pan retrofit and then have them check the catalyst...You can remind them that this has been a pervasive problem w/ CLK's

With my car they could not fix it and that included replacing the evaporator and hoses. But mine smelled more like a cross beteen the Staten Island dump and mold. i think you are in the clear on that one.

As far as loosing blowing speed that sounds wierd. Even if it were icing up due to freon it wouldn't be affecting the air blower.

I would check this out.

BTW love that Cadet Blue color. I'll miss it. As you may recall I had that color on the 05, CLK500.
of course i recall your car is the one that made me decide on mine, i got a 04 on a better deal though the 05 was too much compared to mine

as for the problems ill have it checked along with the tranny being hesitant and the freakin crazy windows that love rolling back down(sunroof too) cant really think of other stuff though but ill try to make an appointment with the dealer asap
Old 06-11-2005, 09:49 AM

05 C55, BMWX 3.0, Subaru Forester (Shaggin Wagon)
Who's the dealer that you use in NY?
Old 06-11-2005, 04:35 PM

If your ac is not blowing hard enough, your aircon filter probably needs to be changed. This filter gets clogged easily and needs to be replaced. I change mine every service. Simple.
Old 06-12-2005, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S550
Originally Posted by scovit
Who's the dealer that you use in NY?
sovereign mb maybe 5 minutes from my home