CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK v. SLK v. Corvette (c6)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 04:21 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK v. SLK v. Corvette (c6)

Hi guys!

I attempted to post this topic about 2 months ago, but it was hijacked for an argument.

It is spring and I'm looking to buy a fun car. It won't be a daily driver - but I do intend to take it on a few vacations w/my wife. I have kids - so the backseat is nice. But then again, I have a large other car that is my daily driver. Final piece of data: I'm always a bit of a safety / crash test nut. Cautious that way.

Any advice from people who have driven any combination of the cars would be really helpful. This is particularly hard since the cars I'm comparing are very different. Here they are:

1. A CLK 500
2. An SLK 350 (or AMG)
3. A Corvette C6 convertible (F55)

Here's my thinking:

I like the CLK. It has the back seat and was the nicest 4 seater I drove. I might break down to the 350 if it is quick enough (I haven't driven it yet).

I loved the interior of the SLK. Thought the roof was fabulous. But the cars overall length worries me. I'm a little afraid the car couldn't take a hit on the highway.

Finally, I like the c6 a lot. I was set to buy one last fall, but decided to wait for the new 6 spd automatic. I never would have considered a GM car before. However, I'm a little worried that since I normally drive Audis - the build quality might get to me. It is also a different class of dealer service.

Any thoughts?? It's getting to be drive time!

- Thinker