CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Rattling/Clicking sound on my 06 CLK Cab......

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rattling/Clicking sound on my 06 CLK Cab......

Everytime I start my new CLK Cab up, I hear a rattling/clicking sound sound coming from the lower rear of the car----almost like a sound of pinballs rattling around--if that makes sense.

While in park, if you rev up the engine, it goes away--but comes back after you let your foot off accelerator. When in drive, after going over 5 mph, the sound goes away. I suspected a loose muffler or something like that. However, after looking under the rear of the car, I saw nothing out of the ordinary or loose.

Any ideas? Just irritating for a brand new 60K car.
I appreciate any insight.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:39 PM
zee

2004 Silver CLK500
Get the catalytic converter checked..

Your problem looks suspiciously similar to the scraping sound that was coming from the undercarriage of my CLK500. The sound came when car was idle. In my case the culprit was the catalytic converter. I don't exactly know what was the problem, but the service advisor implied that this problem was quite common in CLKs. It is all covered under warranty, ask the service area to check for problems with the converter.

All the best,

Zee
Old 04-19-2006, 09:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CharlestonGator
Everytime I start my new CLK Cab up, I hear a rattling/clicking sound sound coming from the lower rear of the car----almost like a sound of pinballs rattling around--if that makes sense.

While in park, if you rev up the engine, it goes away--but comes back after you let your foot off accelerator. When in drive, after going over 5 mph, the sound goes away. I suspected a loose muffler or something like that. However, after looking under the rear of the car, I saw nothing out of the ordinary or loose.

I had this problem on a non-benz and it was the oil gasket cover that was loose and just rattling around due to the idle of the engine. It does sound like something is loose, although the fact that it disppears when you rev the engine is a little troubling.

Have you spoken to your service department? Since it is brand new, I assume you have a full warranty.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:22 AM

2005 clk 500 cab, 2004 Bmw 530I, 2008 E350 4matic, 2010 C300 4matic
i had the same prob. when i 1st got my 05 clk500 cab. i took it right to the dealer and made him take it for a ride w/ me in the car so i could id it.at about 5 mph he cleerly heard what sounded like a clicking noise, he then said that it was some kind of bareing that was under the car that needed to be oiled, it took all of 10 min to fix.. i hope this helps

Originally Posted by CharlestonGator

Old 04-19-2006, 10:29 AM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 186 Likes on 135 Posts
could also be a loose heat shield
Old 04-19-2006, 09:41 PM

CLK320
does it have to do with the brake?
cause after i change them to Brembo brake
i dont hear any rattling/clicking sound
Old 04-22-2006, 04:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G63, AMG GT S
I have the same problem. I posted about this a while ago... but just take the car in. It's under warranty. I'm taking mine in at 1,000 miles so I'll know then.