CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

I stand corrected: w209 unique platform

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2002, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML 500 Sport
Unhappy I stand corrected: w209 unique platform

Karl, JCM5...and all...

I just received this message from my friends in Europe close to AMG and is an officially approved statement:

Dear Jim

It took me some time to get the information but now I am able to answer your question:

The answer is: the W203 and the W209 are based on "unique" platforms.

The reason is that there is not such a shared platform concept as you will know from i.e. Volkswagen where one platform is used for several models and brands of the group. All Mercedes cars are have more or less different platforms but of course they share a lot of parts from the existing Mercedes "building set".
In the case of the new CLK W209 parts like the suspension springs and rear axle are for example from the W203 some other parts are from the W211. Anyway there is no shared platform but an unique car body.

Best Regards
Tim

I humbly apologize ...all my debating was for not...I am now convinced and converted!!!

Last edited by jco-amg; 08-27-2002 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-28-2002, 01:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
jco-amg:

Tnx for the special effort by contacting your resources in Germany.

Apologies not necessary.
Old 08-28-2002, 02:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sl and M-class E320 4Matic SLK350
Actuallly it is a C Class platform

When the Pt Cruiser came out Daimler Chrysler went to great lengths to point out that the PT was not in fact based on the Neon Platform. They used the same techno gibberish that is being used now to suggest that the CLK is not based on the C Class platform. As point of fact, there is a lot more in common with the platform of the CLK and the C Class than there was between the platform of the Neon and the PT.

It is all shades of grey and yes one can define away anything one wants to, but when all is said and done the new CLK is substantively a C Class at heart - or should we say a lamb in wolf's clothing! Now that's not all bad though because the power to weight ratio that results gives the CLK a performance edge over what it would be with a more substantial platform.