CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Need New Breaks! New York AREA

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK-350 Coupe Cadet Blue.. YE YE
Need New Breaks! New York AREA

I am at 10,500 miles on my CLK-350, and I already need a new set of breaks. Benz charges alot for new breaks.

Does anyone know of a shop in the NY area that can change my breaks for a reasonable price?
I want Original MB BreakPads though, and am willing to go and purchase them from the parts dept.

Somebody please tell me the best way to go about this, and would I be making a mistake by allowing an outside shop to do my Breaks?
Old 09-22-2006, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
Just get it done at the dealer. All I've learnt in the past 1 1/2 years of modding is that you gotta spend money and do things right. Like I got my sound system installed for a pretty cheap price and where is my car now? Back in the shop because the whole system doesn't work. And I have about 10 more examples of this. They can't be charging you that much for a break installation, can they? I'm in NY too and if there is a good shop around, I'd probably use it too.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S550
i went 30k with no problems.... but mainly highway miles... if you come to brooklyn theres alot of guys that deal with german cars and give decent deals but i never had the oppurtunity to do a brake job so i wouldnt want to lead you in the wrong direction
Old 09-25-2006, 12:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
w215 - CL55 w/stage III
Cool

brakes are the easiest thing to change on a car! i do them self all the time... takes me about an hour to do front and back! if you are handy do it... but if not check with most german repair shops and they should charge alot less than MB dealer
Old 09-25-2006, 02:57 AM

If you are replacing the OEM pads, I think doing it at the dealer would be the best thing. Just in case something goes wrong, they will still cover you. I replaced my pads with Akebono and went to an outside shop. Now I have this click sound everytime I switch from reverse to drive. Not a big deal to get fix (or so I think), but saves some hassle. Good luck to you though with what you choose.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:57 PM

still looking for an outside shop. Any Suggestions??
Old 09-25-2006, 03:28 PM

Does anybody think, that I can get benz to change the breaks for free? considering the fact that the car only has 10k miles on it.
Cant I just say that theres something wrong with them?
Old 09-25-2006, 03:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S550
deffinately contact your dealer regarding this.... if not try getting aftermarket pads to reduce brake dust
Old 09-25-2006, 05:10 PM

my dealer says that the life expectancy of a CLK break pad is from 10-12k miles??

Is this true? This is BS IMO.. What is a good aftermarket company for breaks?
Old 09-26-2006, 01:20 AM

w215 - CL55 w/stage III
Cool

i would stick to MB pads, from my extensive experience with brake pads, is that u want to stick with stock pads, the aftermarket pads that have less dust or last longer end up eating up your rotors and i haven't replaced them yet on my clk but i would assume rotors can be pricey.... IMHO
Old 09-26-2006, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by MSGHockey
my dealer says that the life expectancy of a CLK break pad is from 10-12k miles??

Don't think that is true. My OEM pads lasted past 25k miles. I think it all depends on your driving. Except for the occasional canyon runs, I drive pretty normal with no hard braking.

As for aftermarket, I got Akebono pads from Tirerack and they are awesome! If you really want to keep your wheels clean, this is the pad for you. The stopping power is also better than stock IMO.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:45 AM

w215 - CL55 w/stage III
Cool

how much are they?

Originally Posted by TMans
Don't think that is true. My OEM pads lasted past 25k miles. I think it all depends on your driving. Except for the occasional canyon runs, I drive pretty normal with no hard braking.

As for aftermarket, I got Akebono pads from Tirerack and they are awesome! If you really want to keep your wheels clean, this is the pad for you. The stopping power is also better than stock IMO.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:23 AM

From what I recall it was just under $100 ($95 I think). I just checked Tirerack's website, but its not on there.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes

That's BS. Insist they change it under warranty. If they still won't save some money and buy the pads yourself off the internet. I got some Pagid pads and they're great. Less dust than the stock ones, but MB does use Pagid as OE on other models.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:46 PM

What should I tell benz in regards to having them change the breaks for free?

Any pointers or things I should say to them
Old 09-26-2006, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
What should I tell benz in regards to having them change the breaks for free?

Any pointers or things I should say to them
I think the 12k miles is the biggest thing you can say. Even if it is city miles, it should last more than that. I drove 21k in Chicago, that's one lane streets with stop signs every two blocks. Them telling you 10k miles is the life expectancy is horse****. I'd be raising hell if I were you, that's pretty much insulting your intelligence. If somebody told me that, I would've chewed them out on the spot. I also would point out that the brakes on my $20,000 Honda could last longer. Then also call Mercedes corporate.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:03 AM

2005 CLK500
I have around 10K miles and I am beginning to hear slight screeching sounds when I brake...
I assume that I am gonna need some new brake pads too...

I am surprised...I would think the pads would last longer than that.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Originally Posted by J.C.Holo
I have around 10K miles and I am beginning to hear slight screeching sounds when I brake...
I assume that I am gonna need some new brake pads too...

I am surprised...I would think the pads would last longer than that.
That's probably just the problem with brake squeal that our cars have. There's a service bulletin on that. Take it to your dealer to have it serviced if it's to the point where it bothers you.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2022 911 c4s cab, 2022 Lambo Urus
send me a PM. I can give u the number to the guy i found that will come to your house and do the breaks for $100 for labor. He did the brakes on my car, no issues at all. I used aftermarket brakes, the pagids. Better stopping power i think. The guy lives in newark and drove to my house on a saturday. Took about an hour. I replaced my rear pads with autozone pads. Seems fine, but the OEM pads weren't even half worn down. just did it anyways. I dont recommend it though...kind of a waste of money. your front pads are probably worn down, so just replace the fronts.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Originally Posted by dkim
send me a PM. I can give u the number to the guy i found that will come to your house and do the breaks for $100 for labor. He did the brakes on my car, no issues at all. I used aftermarket brakes, the pagids. Better stopping power i think. The guy lives in newark and drove to my house on a saturday. Took about an hour. I replaced my rear pads with autozone pads. Seems fine, but the OEM pads weren't even half worn down. just did it anyways. I dont recommend it though...kind of a waste of money. your front pads are probably worn down, so just replace the fronts.
yeah, I noticed the same on my car, the front pads were worn down at 28,000 miles, which i thought was a little bit early, but then they guy who did my pads took a look at the rears and said they looked like they were new. i thought it might have been something wrong with my car, but i guess it's just due to the fact that when a car brakes the weight transfers to the front, and that the front rotors are a lot bigger than the rears.