CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Clk Winter Driving??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Clk Winter Driving??

I am considering purchasing a 2007 CLK 350 Convertible which will be my commuter (90 miles roundtrip) but I live in central NJ and swore I would never go back to a RWD after my 99 C class gave me a couple of eventful days in the winter. I have a 03 C320 4 matic that goes through anything the winter can dish out but that will not be my wifes car. With winter tires on the CLK should I be ok? Does anyone have any winter driving experience with this car to speak of? I plan on the train on the worst days but I am still a bit apprehensive with the RWD, however I love the car and know if I dont get it now I never will.

Thoughts???
Old 11-24-2006, 02:44 PM

well not sure about the convertible but i have a coupe

and actually went around with the clk55 stock tires and wheels. They are more performance oriented then the clk350 tires. I live in chicago and even on snowy days the car got me around with no problems. ( no hills in chicago and they clean the roads fairly well)
Before that I had a dedicated wheel and tire setup for the winter on my e46 m3 and never had a problem, never got stuck in even the heaviest snow storms and could actually maneuver better than most AWD suvs and cars.
If your area is rural and doesnt get plowed often and hills i would reccomend getting a winter wheel and tire package from tirerack. Your car will handle as well as your awd C-class if not better.
However make sure to drive responsibly in the snow. As snow tires as awd will save your a++ but only up to a certain limit!
Old 11-24-2006, 03:02 PM

Thanks man. My driving will be all Interstate and turnpike to NYC every day. The roads get cleaned real quickly around here except for the side streets that I have to get out of (about 1/2 miles worth) to the main roads.
Old 11-24-2006, 05:35 PM

CLK 550
As long as the roads are not overly slushy, you will be fine w/ your stock wheels. They keep the turnpike pretty clear, it's the side streets that you need to worry about.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:05 PM

CLK-350 Coupe Cadet Blue.. YE YE
I have a 2006 CLK 350 Coupe, everything is stock. I got stuck in 2 inches of snow. My car could not make it up the short hill on my street. I will never use rear wheel drive again for the winter. I love my CLK, but i dont like slipping and sliding all over the roads.
Old 11-26-2006, 04:43 PM
zee

2004 Silver CLK500
I have a 500, and I live in Canada.

Yes it is pretty cold here and in winters we do get that funny white stuff falling from the sky, more than I like.

I have been driving it in winter for the past two years. I am running Pirelli winter tires on OEM wheels. Here is my view on the winter driving in CLK.

1) The car is not drivable when it is snowing heavily, and there is already more than a few inches of snow on the ground. Even with winter tires, the rear wheel drive is not good enough to get the car going in heavy snow on the ground. Especially going up the hills, the car traction is (almost) non-existent when there is heavy snow on the pavement.

This happens three to four days in a year. I do not take the car out during those days.

2) In light snow, the car should be fine. However just drive a bit slow. I love the traction control in these slick conditions. Without it, the car would be a lot harder to drive.

Bottom line, except for the heavy snowing days, you should be fine driving this car with good winter tires on.

Hope that helps.

Zee
Old 11-28-2006, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 CLK320
I drive a 2004 CLK320. I live in Toronto and I travel to Montreal 1-2 times per months. Even with dedicated winter tires (Pirelli 210), I got stuck a few times last winter.

I wanted to add a 100 lb sand bag in the trunk but ym MB adviser told me this owuld cause premature wear of the suspension. I still have a set of old traction aid around, I am thinking to leave them in my car this winter just in case.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:19 AM

W209 CLK
I live in Vancouver Canada and just had about 6 inches of snow dumped on us this weekend. I'm driving a stock CLK 320 W209 and it's definately not driveable when the roads aren't plowed.

Even then, it's a little dicey as you will find the wheels will slip and the traction control will prevent you from moving when stopped on a slippery patch. Also I'm finding that going down hill is somewhate dicey on unplowed roads as the weight of the car causes it to slip.