CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

To '03 Clk500 Or Not To '03 Clk500?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 03:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To '03 Clk500 Or Not To '03 Clk500?

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum and hoping to get some informed advice on the CLK 500. I am looking at a 2003 500, black with charcoal interior, 50,000 miles, no navigation, looks like new, clean carfax, great running car. The price is $26,900 and an additional $2,500 for a three year warranty. I absolutely love the car, and have concerns on the maintenance cost based on some internet sites. What is the average yearly maintenance cost based on a one owner well cared for 500? Not being cheap I just have never owned a MB. Any info on the '03 ownership experience, or reliability, would greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Beebow
Old 12-31-2006, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by Beebow
Hello everyone. I am new to this forum and hoping to get some informed advice on the CLK 500. I am looking at a 2003 500, black with charcoal interior, 50,000 miles, no navigation, looks like new, clean carfax, great running car. The price is $26,900 and an additional $2,500 for a three year warranty. I absolutely love the car, and have concerns on the maintenance cost based on some internet sites. What is the average yearly maintenance cost based on a one owner well cared for 500? Not being cheap I just have never owned a MB. Any info on the '03 ownership experience, or reliability, would greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Beebow

Got my 2003 with 30,000 miles for $21,000 (after negotiating). The only gripe I really have is the interior is outdated and the sound system sucks (and im not looking for bass or anything just clear sounding). Ive only had it for a couple months but overall its a great car, just Mercedes service experience sucks compared to BMW's IMHO. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:41 AM

Yea, I say go for it. If it has been taken care of, and you have a Carfaz report, I can say this: HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-31-2006, 05:42 PM

One suggestion. Since your car is out of warranty try to get the warranty history on the car. If this is sold by an MB dealer, they can get it for you. If it is someone else, an MB dealer MAY provide it to you (especially if you pay for a pre-purchase inspection)or you can call MBUSA. They will need a fax from the owner and they will send all history to the owner. This is not easy to get but if you are persistent you can get it.

You want to see if the car was maintained according to schedule (especially since all scheduled service was free on the '03). Also check for any issues that keep recurring and doesn't seem to be fixed. Electrical being one of them. Finally, see how often the car goes in for various warranty problems and how severe they are. Some people will argue a car that goes in for many warranty issues is a good car because these issues are fixed. My opinion is that a car that is a borderline lemon that goes in the shop often will always seems to have something wrong. I would prefer a 50K mileage car with little to no time in the shop for warranty work.

There are no guarantees with used cars, but at least try to maximize you odds.
Old 12-31-2006, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sean's Sister--
Originally Posted by kiamcoj
Got my 2003 with 30,000 miles for $21,000 (after negotiating). The only gripe I really have is the interior is outdated and the sound system sucks (and im not looking for bass or anything just clear sounding). Ive only had it for a couple months but overall its a great car, just Mercedes service experience sucks compared to BMW's IMHO. Just my 2 cents.

damn that is good but sucks in a way.......a car thats over 60k brand new going for half of what it;s worth 3-4 years later.....i didn't like the w209 at first but thinking about it now....

how did you get that killer deal'?

when i check autotrader i see people selling them for way over what blue book has it for.....2003 clk500 is around 25k at good condition....but i see people selling them for 30 something which at that price you can get a clk55....i'm gonna hold out for a little bit more to hopefully get a clk55